When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I enjoy customizing old Schwinn lightweights and other brands to my liking for todays standards and use.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Its true on both counts.
Its a cool bike AND dont leave your bike anywhere you can't see it.
At least these are older bikes and a person needs to have tools to take it apart rather than skewers.
Here in Tucson you can only ride your bike, not leave it anywhere. That is, if you want it to ride home.
We have a 100 mile bike path completely around the city but dont get off to eat and leave your bike un-attended. I had a pristine 67' Deluxe Racer stolen last summer and a friend of mine has had three bikes stolen. Locks dont help unless you carry around a 20lb chain and lock, and how uncomfortable is that?
All the homeless people around here are spinning Trek, Klein and Cannondale.
Despicable.
But I do like the OP's bike, that's the kind of stuff I do also, personalize everyday bikes. Make them into what you want and or need. Older bikes that aren't too flashy aren't big targets for theft either.
Thieves roll around with their stolen cordless power grinders and then it's gone.

We have broken system.
Broken hell, it's busted and fragmented. The whole damn government is so screwed up now days, it's hard to tell if were coming or going. Be glad you don't live in the cheesehead state. I think it's worse here than in most other states. I should have stayed in Loiusianna or Missouri. Oh well, life goes on.

Cool - appreciate the functional ride as well as the salvaged accumulation of parts that make this unique. Also fun to ride a creation of sorts. Thanks for the inspiration. Enjoy!!

I'm thinking about turning a traveler into a lighter bike with a hi-lo in front: put a ss freewheel on the back, rig a pulley for the chain in the rear, and leave the front derailleur on. Like a fixie for someone who needs a low starter. Anyone ever re-work a rear derailleur?

I'm thinking about turning a traveler into a lighter bike with a hi-lo in front: put a ss freewheel on the back, rig a pulley for the chain in the rear, and leave the front derailleur on. Like a fixie for someone who needs a low starter. Anyone ever re-work a rear derailleur?
Sturmey Archer makes a rear chain gather for just that purpose. Takes up the chain slack needed for separate gears from OR back. Attaches on the rear axle I think. I've seen them on Ebay. (I dont think they call it a gather)
There is an old Brompton kit, and even old SA Brompton (BR)? hubs that used two and three sprockets.

....in the FWIW category of comments, with regard to saddle theft (which was rampant for a while here in my hometown), the best alternative I've discovered is to use socket head bolts/nuts to secure the post at the seat tube insertion. You then use Super Glue to stick an appropriately sized bearing ball into the socket (or sockets on both sides, nut and bolt), which prevents easy access by passersby.

If you need to work on it yourself, acetone dissolves the super glue so you can pull the bearing out.

Nothing is foolproof, of course. This also works well with a regular Campy or Sugino recessed seat clamp bolt. For some strange reason, most thieves here are not willing to do the extra work to detach a saddle from the post at the post clamp, but most of those now have socket head bolts as their means of adjustment as well. Make sure you have the saddle exactly where you want it before you do any of this.

It's a cleaner look than chaining the saddle, and seems to work as well.

Back