When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has the last Prewar Schwinn ?

-
I bought this one a couple of years ago and haven't done anything with it. I can't make out if there's a letter before the numbers, though...

IMG_5186.jpg

IMG_5198.jpg

IMG_5259.jpg

This one has an H prefix, but I’ve always considered it a 42 model, since it has all of the defense era trim.
I don’t think the serial number has as much to do with the build date, as the way it was trimmed out.
H would indicate Prewar for sure, but painted rims, trussrods and fender braces, would indicate defense era cutbacks.
No rack, or tank either.
I put the U bar on this bike, because in the description of the defense models, it states that the Torrington SB bars would be used until supplies ran out, at which time a Torrington U bar would substitute.
So, a 1942 defense model, was the only time/year, that a Torrington U bar was ever used on a Schwinn built bicycle.
Kind of cool!

My Guess would be that your bike would be a 41 and the first letter might be a H

I remember posting the bike when I first got it, and I was told it was 1941, and a one-year-only frame, tank and chain guard. Just had no idea as to where it falls into early or late 1941.

Had & have a few "I #'s" but nothing that high of #, as for the war time production think there was a time companies were able to use up stock on hand to fill orders, perfect example my 42 Western Flyer ( CWC used the "A" serial # all of 42 ), CWC used a frame designed exclusively for Montgomery Wards by Walter Teague only used for 40-1 Hawathorne All American but ended up on a bare bones 42 WF, don't know if there was a overlap with these spare-parts bikes and war time production. Guess there could be the same thread for CWC's my number is A17xxx

Last edited:
Back