When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I missing something (late model Schwinn)?

-
What Are You Missing

There are many people that collect these Cruisers and the sell prices on eBay have been high for well over a decade. This one is interesting if you follow the production time on the last bikes to roll out of Chicago. After the strike Schwinn must have been somewhat crippled if you note the serial stamping dates and the actual build dates on the head badges. December 1980 serial numbers (stamped during the strike) were used at least half way thru 1981. This piece has a November 1981 serial number stamping and it wasn't built until May 12, 1982, at least 163 days after the head tube was stamped with a serial number. It's also in decent condition.

1613930572297.png

1613930595945.png

1613930612993.png

Why does a beat up mid 60's Sting Ray frame sell for $375?

What Are You Missing

There are many people that collect these Cruisers and the sell prices on eBay have been high for well over a decade. This one is interesting if you follow the production time on the last bikes to roll out of Chicago. After the strike Schwinn must have been somewhat crippled if you note the serial stamping dates and the actual build dates on the head badges. December 1980 serial numbers (stamped during the strike) were used at least half way thru 1981. This piece has a November 1981 serial number stamping and it wasn't built until May 12, 1982, at least 163 days after the head tube was stamped with a serial number. It's also in decent condition.

View attachment 1361576

View attachment 1361577

View attachment 1361578

Why does a beat up mid 60's Sting Ray frame sell for $375?

I'm a little surprised they were still using forged forks that late into 1982, and using one with the caliper hole on a single speed! Maybe they were clearing out the parts stocks before the shut-down.

How is this bike getting so many bids at this starting price?
I dont do anything past 1960 so maybe its just not my thing but it looks like a super late model bike.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=184663832732

I just noticed the starting price was 199 but 13 bids on a bike I probably wouldnt look at twice just startled me I guess. I sound like a vintage snob but Im really just curious.

An Original 1981/2 Gold version, Studded balloons, complete {Missing rear reflecter?] as is, hardly used. Yup, You're missing, not simply of newer 1979-81 Balloon Schwinn, dem cruisers seem to hold those prices well. But 1 more thing, personally, not that I've seen em all, nowhere close. But, I've seen just a couple with gold decal 83/4-5 SchwMurry's with tube fork. However, this is the 1st complete all original, Chicago built, 'Gold Trimmed' I've seen on the net:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Pretty danged nice condition and I expect

One dam hard version to find too. I got no more space and time for this otherwise, definitely a MUST have for those who really dig em.

This is the same bike as the one I sold a number of years ago. Mine sold for a similar price, IIRC.

This is the same bike as the one I sold a number of years ago. Mine sold for a similar price, IIRC.
Yeah but, not cactly as, yours had the Murray tube fork. Topic has blade fork. And while not easy to tell but topic fork and chain guard are gold tone too. Yours would have been an 83/4. However yours does point to a tight time line B/C, about the only difference between the two, without knowing how the stay joints are fit, is different forks. I seen Gold versions with tube fork but never blade fork and never a blade with gold colored graphic. For that fork alone, me tinks it's one for the books.

Last edited:
Back