When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stuck seat post in a Bianchi

-
Thank you all for your advice. It looks like at this point, the only thing I can try next is the plumbing pipe nipple extractor. Unfortunately, but as I feared, the center section came out of the seat post, leaving me with only an 1/8" protruding past the seat tube. I do not have the tools to disassemble the bottom bracket. I will keep you posted( no pun intended).

20210302_105554.jpg

Ok
What i would try is inserting a old extra handle bar stem inside the seat post and tighten stem bolt and at least you have an extension to put pipe wrench on or hammer sideways to try to free it up

Did you try using a spare stem you have laying around ... not sure if the above comment was directed to me or not
Some people have done this with the bars in the gooseneck as a way to get leverage. Most of the time you can’t get out a stuck aluminum post in a steel frame using twisting force. They usually are cut out with a raw hacksaw blade, but that is very slow going. Torch heat doesn’t work either. The gooseneck in a large bench vice and twisting the frame didn’t work for me after filling the frame with lye solution for a week.

Looks like the seat mount is separated from the post.
If the bottom of the post is open and all that remains is basically an aluminum tube, I'd try long hacksaw blade and cut trough opposite sides. Once you get one side cut it might relieve enough pressure to break free.
If you can cut both sides through a punch would work to break both halves loose.
Takes a while but it has been done.

While the pipe nipple extractor is an awesome tool, it did not remove the stuck seat post. It was starting to deform the seat post and I was afraid it would in turn deform the seat tube.
My new question is, can't I possibly just use a smaller size seat post within the original post. I suppose I would have to vertically slot the original post so it would crimp onto the new smaller post. I have no idea if seat post come in a variety of sizes.
If that won't work, it appears my only other option is to vertically cut the stuck post in multiple places and peel it away from the seat tube.

Back