When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think its time to start hoarding early DH Race bikes.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
IDK if this is still for sale but this is WAY under valued @$800. https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/19...UmWTz7u5T8KmWX-jwUudJZFlV2252YM6rv8RZrQilpar8. This was the bike to have in 1999.

intense.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt that Kona will ever be worth much. It wasnt that great when it was new. It didnt have anything exceptional about it. No new technology or anything.

Where you are seeing prices starting to skyrocket is on old components. Around 1994/1995 there was a movement to create a 100% American made mountain bike.

This is when we started seeing American made derraillers (paul, proshift, precision billet). These old derrailleurs can fetch an easy $300/each.

Old V Brakes - Avid Ultimates, for example. Stuff from Grafton.

If you find old bikes with this stuff - buy it.

As soon as Shimano started producing XTR this cottage industry of American-made bike jewelry died.

I bought two bikes last year - each for $300 - and I made over $2,000 parting them out - and kept one of the frames - a 1994 Foes LTS. Keeping it as garage art.
Let's see that Foes! Those were wild lookin' frames...

Someone a long time ago said (I paraphrase) "A fool and his money are soon parted".

Betting on future value of bicycles seems very risky to me, especially mass produced bicycles.

Someone a long time ago said (I paraphrase) "A fool and his money are soon parted".

Betting on future value of bicycles seems very risky to me, especially mass produced bicycles.
Someone hasn’t been tracking early BMX prices lately!

I’m a bit more leery on DH bikes though cause they were a narrower niche. Not as widespread recognized/sought after, I don’t think.

Vintage dh is a tough market. Bits and pieces will be more available for hoarding if that's what you plan on doing. Marzocchi super T', shivers, monster t' boxer forks etc. Cranks and hubs/wheels. Really not dissimilar from the bmx market.

Late 90's Early 2k DH &Freeride was a pretty small scene. Mostly West coast and western Canada. And those bikes got ridden hard. The unfortunate thing is old dh bikes ride like poo just about anywhere, the trails changed and they aren't the best for the high speed tracks of today. All the freeride rock rolls, skinnies and huck to flats are all gone :(

Vintage dh is a tough market. Bits and pieces will be more available for hoarding if that's what you plan on doing. Marzocchi super T', shivers, monster t' boxer forks etc. Cranks and hubs/wheels. Really not dissimilar from the bmx market.

Late 90's Early 2k DH &Freeride was a pretty small scene. Mostly West coast and western Canada. And those bikes got ridden hard. The unfortunate thing is old dh bikes ride like poo just about anywhere, the trails changed and they aren't the best for the high speed tracks of today. All the freeride rock rolls, skinnies and huck to flats are all gone :(
They weren't all ridden hard. I had this time capsule bike I was saving but sold it a few years ago. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/2002-rocky-mountain-rm7-dh-time-capsule-bike.111461/

Chris. If not ridden into oblivion, a few may be worth holding on to, but which ones? One that always intrigued me was the San Andreas Mountain Cycle started in the early 90's in SLO town Cali. It really was cutting edge at the time. Keep in mind this bike is 30-years old! Almost bought one when they came out, but it was fairly expensive and I couldn't afford a frameset. Not necessarily a DH specific rig, but it blurred the lines between XC and Downhill riding. Waaaay ahead of it's time. I disposed of all of my old aluminum mtb bikes after breaking most of them, but if I came across a low mile original of this specific bike I would be hard pressed to walk away.
1615904414931.png

And a MUST READ below by Richard C.

Last edited:
Back