When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone doing nickel plating

-
I've tried a bit, I couldnt find anyone local to do it because of the pitting on the metal. After sanding it smooth as possible, I made a nickel solution with vinegar. These are before and after pics of one of the parts, not 100% perfect but it worked

20160913_110135.jpg

20191014_180110.jpg

What did you use for the electrolysis?
I have a dc converter and used a nickel rod for making the solution and smaller parts. The rod lasts longer and did fine for the smaller parts but the strips seemed to work better for the parts with a larger surface area. Found the instructions on YouTube.

I have a dc converter and used a nickel rod for making the solution and smaller parts. The rod lasts longer and did fine for the smaller parts but the strips seemed to work better for the parts with a larger surface area. Found the instructions on YouTube.
Thanks for your time

Thanks for your time
No problem i got the converter on amazon around 20 bucks. I first started with D batteries but they died really quick. I plated about a ⅓ of my bikes parts with 2 rods and one strip of nickel, made about 3 gallons total of the vinegar solution. So the cost was minimal for the start up...but if you do it make sure you keep the electrical leads clear of the solution, the metal will dissolve.

Bob is a great guy. Know him for years. He used to come to the Memory Lane swap.
I tried to find my HB chainring so you could see it. Packed always somewhere. Stunning work. I bought one of his HB head badges from him. That's my guy for the West Coast. I'm on the East Cost and I also use Librandi's in Middletown, PA

Back