When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle Knowledge and Information

-

catfish

Riding an Alexander Rocket Bike
One of the best things about the CABE (IMO), is learning new information about bicycles, and passing on info that I know. No one person is an expert in all bikes or manufactures.

Everyone has there own specialty. Though there may be more Schwinn people... There are others that are just as knowledgeable about other brands. Colson, Columbia, CWC, Rollfast, Shelby, Dayton / Huffman, Davis, Harley, Indian, Miami. The list goes on and on.

Although this is a just a hobby. Most of us have been doing this for a very long time. And have dedicated countless hours to studding and doing research.

The knowledge we have all collected is an great wealth of information that should be saved and passed on to future collectors. None of us will be here forever.

It would be a shame to lose all of this info to the sands of time....

So I implore you - Please share your knowledge here on the CABE. We could start a new thread for each manufacture, and have people post what they know in each one.

Let's preserve the hobby for the future.

Thanks, Catfish

11162015 002.JPG

Well said Catfish. I personally have learned a lot from here. I try to inform anybody with an old vintage bike; politely what it is if I know for sure, where to look for serial #s and any general info. If I'm not sure I tell'em to come here & post it up.

In ALL Seriousness I Respect those who help or at least give you something to investigate. Seen people giving things away, looking out for parts for bikes they're not interested in so much, and generally being Good natured "family" with strangers.

Let's preserve the hobby for the future.
Well said Catfish.

I do not know what I would do without the Cabe and the good people on here. I recently noticed that there are over 30k members but there are a small number of guys with a huge wealth of knowledge that they share without hesitation. Not sure who but someone said " we are just care takers of these bikes for another generation" was that you catfish? The knowledge is as priceless and important to what we do as vintage parts.

Well said, I personally have learned an incredible amount on this site. There are a good amount of generous members, in many different ways. I've gotten so much from here, I only hope that I can give back & contribute something myself. I've met some pretty interesting characters here too.

fullsizeoutput_f10.jpeg

If it wasn't for theCabe, I would still only have one bike. I'm SO glad everyone on here is inclusive and helpful, even if my rides are newer and maybe not the "most' classic. Now I'm up to four and always looking at stuff for sale on here. I have gotten complete bikes (thanks to @Kirkthomas, multiple parts from @Gordon, and some freebies from others( you know who you are) :) This site is my first thing to view in the early mornings, and the last thing I look at before lights out. CABE on.........

I check this daily multiple times too; even if I am not posting. I end up seeing something interesting to read. Gives me a place to share ideas & hopefully I add some kind of helpfulness or enjoyment .... even if a laugh or getting the Yodas of Bike Knowledge to jump in sooner to lead the way.

Great idea about dedicated threads, Catfish. I agree with most who have posted here that the Cabe is my first look in the morning and my source of entertainment and info may times throughout most days. Like @ian, I had one bike last year- the Spitfire that I have had most of my adult life, but the Cabe has “influenced“ me to now be the proud owner of four! The people, knowledge shared and the spirit of “bicycle community” is what makes this site great. Thanks to all that contribute.

Last edited:
Back