When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1949 New World with Schwinn S-8 Rims

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I finally got some good pictures of the front hub. Looking at the 1948 catalog, it looks like the picture of the Paramount hub, but this one doesn't say Paramount, so I'm guessing maybe it's the "Continental" hub. As for the brakes, I took some close-ups of them too, but they came out blurry. I'll have to try again another day. But they look like the standard "Schwinn Built" as far as I can see.

IMG_3412.JPG

IMG_3414.JPG

IMG_3430.JPG

IMG_3424.JPG

IMG_3427.JPG

I finally got some good pictures of the front hub. Looking at the 1948 catalog, it looks like the picture of the Paramount hub, but this one doesn't say Paramount, so I'm guessing maybe it's the "Continental" hub. As for the brakes, I took some close-ups of them too, but they came out blurry. I'll have to try again another day. But they look like the standard "Schwinn Built" as far as I can see.

View attachment 1312472

View attachment 1312473

View attachment 1312479

View attachment 1312484

View attachment 1312486
Those are really pretty hubs when cleaned and polished. Well made. They are marked for different models? Thought they only said SCHWINN

Those are really pretty hubs when cleaned and polished. Well made. They are marked for different models? Thought they only said SCHWINN
The picture in the catalog shows "Paramount" on the hub, that's what I was going by. This is the first I've seen so it's all new to me.

Your hub looks identical to the Paramount scripted hub, but the guts might be different.

Paramount Racing. Replaceable "Forged Dural" spoke flanges. High carbon, high chrome steel cones with ground ball track. Cones are threaded to axle. Hub spindles turned from special steel, ground ball tracks. Chrome-molybdenum steel axles.

The prewar hub was call the Continental and was said to be used on all Paramounts. Schwinn script only. Threadless cones and other hardware must vary.

1607237990323.png

Last edited:
Your hub looks identical to the Paramount scripted hub, but the guts might be different.

Paramount Racing. Replaceable "Forged Dural" spoke flanges. High carbon, high chrome steel cones with ground ball track. Cones are threaded to axle. Hub spindles turned from special steel, ground ball tracks. Chrome-molybdenum steel axles.

The prewar hub was call the Continental and was said to be used on all Paramounts. Schwinn script only. Threadless cones and other hardware must vary.

View attachment 1312786
Interesting! I went back to the 1948 catalog on bikehistory.org and looked again, it mentions the "Schwinn Continental Dural" front and rear hubs but I missed the pictures the first time. Once I saw it, the picture looks just like a standard Schwinn hub, except that it's made out of aluminum. The picture you posted looks like what the '48 catalog calls the Paramount hub, except it shows "Paramount" stamped or engraved along the hub, while mine has "Schwinn" engraved around the center section like the version in your post. Of course, the '48 catalog shows the rims marked with "Schwinn" in cursive script, while the actual rims are marked in block letters.

On a side note the catalog shows what looks like a drilled axle. @Oilit bike shows a solid axle. Was it changed out or were there options or different axles?

486.JPG

Back