When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'64 Columbia Fire Bolt; Rat Rod

-

Superman1984

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I bought @jimbo53 's 1964 Columbia Fire Bolt he built as this pretty cool Rat:cool:

I took "the creature" for a Good mile ride this mornin' & it rides pretty nice once I lowered the seat a hair closer to low rider status.

I intend to make a few little changes here & there but Nothing too drastic or undo able;
1st I think a Monarch dog leg is in order as it'll fit the patina on the peppered chrome & of course the oL'School Kool look

2nd Since it's a Columbia I think the Columbia Superb White Wall tires I have will look at home once I dirty them & give'em a little patina

#3 L.E.D conversion to the existing head light & maybe 2 mini L.E.D 100 lumen flashlights in a Bug eye fashion for the tank for night cruises & since they're damn near impossible to find

#4 Stop Brake light

#5 I have some ideas I want to try with an oL'aged piece of Copper sheeting I pulled off a house for inserts between the rack & tank; #'64, Columbia Script & or a finalized name.

Debating some Black Light or Green L.E.D glow with some other ideas but not too sure how everything will tie in together 'til I start making it happen.

I had a '64 Ford Fairlane 500 so I'm kinda thinkin' Fairlane might be a fitting name since that year they removed the fins & it too was Originally Red/Burgundy.

Moarrr pics with Every Little Change Comin' Soon!

Any ideas & criticisms Welcome ....

I don’t need to tell you to post more pics as you personalize it. That is the fun part...Making it “yours”!

Got the tires on & semi adjusted at about 40-44 psi before the rain started. Not a lot of clearance/wiggle room. Jim said he caught hell & I can see why even more so with the way these tires are designed & still have the nipples on them.

I am kinda on the fence about using coffee/tea grounds & or coffee bean acrylic paint to stain'em. Has anyone here done it? The white pins & Columbia script are still pretty white in person so if you guys have an opinion toss it out for me.
Tires are kinda dirty from handling & sitting in the garage but I didn't feel up to makin' anymore of a mess in there to clean or stain'em. Haven't felt great lately; damn joints & hip pain :rolleyes:

I am planning to use a key chain 8 ball to the kickstand as a foot to keep it up right better to lessen lean or see if I can make an OCC Stingray dual leg stand clear & Not lift it so high.

Playing with this idea; the front fender will be the easiest but Schwinn box store Delmar/Windwood etc balloon fenders - sanding, polishing & will maybe add some hot rod striping or go with a Shelby Red/White tip scheme. I know it's not finished but any opinions ?

Ok so both modern day Schwinn balloon box store fenders are pretty much mocked up; I had to use what I have on hand for braces (front wald) & (rear ebay universal) & Nothing is 100% adjusted & Modified to the extent of final.

What does Anyone & Everyone feel or think about it?

I am Diggin' It & seein' the potential Even Moarrr!

Hell Jus' mocking up & centering the wheel I have more wiggle room side to side every where but the tight curve of the U bends. I may even be able to remedy that pinch area by notching the fenders there as the edges are are pretty heavily rolled & with some actual vintage braces with a little dremel action I should be able to pull them down for an All Around White Wall Tuck.

Back