When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

-
If that is the black deluxe in the picture, I'm pretty sure it would be a 1980 date code. My cousin and a neighbor got one exactly like that for Christmas 1980. Happy Easter...

Reactions: hm.

My early 80 with Dec. 79 MQ serial number and 0230 head badge code.

I have owned 5+ of them all Jan-Mar of 80, the one I'm selling is a AR frame with a Jan build date ( gum walls ) and the other ( WW ) was a BR with a Mar build date, I have one more that is a AR with a Feb build.

I guess if you put it that way California Cruiser's where made from leftover HD or Typhoon frames.

I guess if you put it that way California Cruiser's where made from leftover HD or Typhoon frames.

Not really, the frames were all the same with them.

The 1980 Cruiser frames were different, and had a different part number in the dealer catalog.

Last edited:
Question for you Spitfire experts, please. Yesterday I was doing maintenance on the ’79 and noticed that the original pedals were made by Union, but one in the USA and one in Germany. Was this common? Did both Union factories make pedals for the Schwinn factory and the assembly folks at Schwinn had a parts bin that had both the US and German pedals mixed that were used for these bikes? Have you guys run into this before?

023DB208-9A9F-462C-BBBA-7967049246B5.jpeg

Back