When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don't know what I'm doing, need parts and year for New Departure Model D. Help.

-
I also don't lie. :laughing:
Axles are not for sale. But happy to give you one. I walked around the summer swap a couple years ago giving away handfuls to folks I know could use them. Even the one person in the bike world I have no use for was given a handful when he asked to buy some.....

"Sorry, Man. Not for sale but I'll give you some!":)
We have a saying in my little local fixer-upper group for old bikes: "Built, not bought." This applies to the ones we keep and the ones we give away. We don't sell any. Anything great we gotta keep, lol. Everything we can't currently use gets used to get some kid hooked on our preferred drug.... old bikes. "The first one's free." We dont tell them the second one is probably gonna cost them a marriage lol.

Have you found a serial number on the bottom bracket? Could be 30s or earlier with that chain ring, are those flat fender braces? That looks like it would make a nice rider. Any sign of original paint under the layers?

That chain may be useable with some cleaning. There are lots of methods involving many forms of magic, voodoo, mixed with kitchen and garage cleaning products. One I can vouch for is soaking a frozen chain for a week or two in heavy weight gear oil, 75-90wt. The stuff has a pretty distinct odor, like a sealed up gym locker fun of unwashed socks from the 70s but it works. :tonguewink:

Simple green soak can clean a lot of gunk and might even remove some of that paint. Beware of soaking in too strong a solution in case there is any original finish on the chain. Here's an old thread on chain cleaning with plenty of ideas. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/reviving-old-chain-part-2.25555/#post-132737.

Have you found a serial number on the bottom bracket? Could be 30s or earlier with that chain ring, are those flat fender braces? That looks like it would make a nice rider. Any sign of original paint under the layers?

That chain may be useable with some cleaning. There are lots of methods involving many forms of magic, voodoo, mixed with kitchen and garage cleaning products. One I can vouch for is soaking a frozen chain for a week or two in heavy weight gear oil, 75-90wt. The stuff has a pretty distinct odor, like a sealed up gym locker fun of unwashed socks from the 70s but it works. :tonguewink:

Simple green soak can clean a lot of gunk and might even remove some of that paint. Beware of soaking in too strong a solution in case there is any original finish on the chain. Here's an old thread on chain cleaning with plenty of ideas. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/reviving-old-chain-part-2.25555/#post-132737.
I haven't found a serial number there's so much paint on there. I make out an "M" or "W" but that's it. I'm not sure what a flat fender brace is, sorry. The only color I see under the blue is red. Not sure if it's original.

I loosened the chain up by soaking it in DW40 then jus manually working each link. I did that over a few days and it's usable now for sure. Thanks the info.

We have a saying in my little local fixer-upper group for old bikes: "Built, not bought." This applies to the ones we keep and the ones we give away. We don't sell any. Anything great we gotta keep, lol. Everything we can't currently use gets used to get some kid hooked on our preferred drug.... old bikes. "The first one's free." We dont tell them the second one is probably gonna cost them a marriage lol.

That's awesome! One of my favorite side hobbies is getting people hooked on bikes. Doesn't matter what kind. Giving a good bike to someone that appreciates and enjoys it is very rewarding. :) Keep up the good work!

Heres a bit of inspiration. This 47 Schwinn frame went from this. (at least 3 layers of spray paint scraped off)

To this. (considerable elbow grease and random parts later ;))

Have fun with it!

Hopefully I'll see a couple of you guys at the swap meet today. I'd like to say something like "I'll be the guy in the fedora wearing a red carnation on my lapel" but if you see a guy with his wife looking lost holding a bike wheel that's me.

Great meeting you at the swap yesterday!! Glad you're a little closer to getting another old bike on the road!

Great meeting you at the swap yesterday!! Glad you're a little closer to getting another old bike on the road!
It was great meeting you guys as well. I appreciate all the info you guys provided. If I get it up and running I'll update you guys. I'm really curious about the model of the bike now and will have to remove some paint on the bottom bracket to see what's stamped there. Maybe that will help since there's no badge. Thanks again.

You are welcome! Sorry I don't have spare bearings to help more. Of course you could use loose bearings but not sure what size they take. Please join us for the Old Bikes Club monthly rides in Denver the third Sunday every month at Fishback Park. It's a lot of fun!

Back