When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn 20" tall prewar cycle truck ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
20" tall frame cycle truck

Hi cycletrucklarry.. wow that's amazing what some people do to something not knowing how scarce this bikes are.. wonder just what they were trying to do. i'm in the mid-west, I found this one in Georgia waiting for delivery right now. once I get it I will try to get both out for pics when the overtime stops.

Hi cycletrucklarry.. wow that's amazing what some people do to something not knowing how scarce this bikes are.. wonder just what they were trying to do. i'm in the mid-west, I found this one in Georgia waiting for delivery right now. once I get it I will try to get both out for pics when the overtime stops.

I saw the one you're getting in person. It's really cool. Good score.

20" ct I had once before megapixil cameras

20inchcycletruck.jpg

I saw the one you're getting in person. It's really cool. Good score.

Hi Double Nickel. I read that you were the first at the door that Morning !! I was on that truck from the time" Freqman1" first posted the sale.. I knew what it was at first glance and called about it and was the first one to call. I bought it just from the one rather poor photo... its rougher then the one I have and I have a seat that will go very well with it, if I choose to leave it the way it is and I also have a better basket. I should have it next week. John

12+

Hi bike, that's a great looking one.. I saw it in one of your photos in the back ground of your shop. I knew what it was and always wanted to see a better photo of it. I'm glad you posted it... how long ago did you sell it ?? John

Years ago...many bikes under the bridge since then!

I have a million pictures on my hard drive in no special order- just happend to come across this one.

Last edited:

I'd still like to see pics of how that clean up came out. I've been looking more at the long and short head tubes on prewar Cycle Truck frames; I'm suspecting, as someone else had mentioned, that the short headtube was the first 1-2 years of production (39-40). In a 1939 ad that mentions the 18" and 20" frames, it shows the bike with 3 straps on the sign board and the short head tube.

I sure wish I could some production numbers for the 20" tall frames as well as the power CT frames.

Schwinn offered custom ordered options back in those days as well as the tall frames. Who knows what other variations or one-offs might exist.

And on the serial numbers...I fear the prewar numbers will never be reliably decoded. Even the postwar numbers were known to repeat themselves 2 or even 3 times.

I've been into Schwinns all my life and into Cycle Trucks for 22+ years and I'm still learning. I'd never seen a 20" frame until last year. (I've owned a copy of Getrude Vorgang's book for 25 years with the '39 ad mentioning the 20" frame, so I knew they existed.) Then in the last year I've seen 3 tall CT's for sale on eBay. The complete blue one that a CABE member luckily got, the black frame/fork with the incorrect kidney bean sprocket and the primered bare frame with 'gussets added' which I snagged for a song and am currently repairing. (someone in the past had welded 5/8" steel plate between the seatpost clamp & the top fender bridge and the crank hanger & the bottom fender bridge!)

Regarding prewar sign boards- those lucky enough to have originals with their bikes; has anyone come across an aluminum one or have they all been steel? I've heard about thick aluminum boards on prewars.

here is a page from a 80 page 1940 genuine Schwinn built parts catalogue.. it says that the items crossed out or lined out in ink would not be in the 1941 catalogue. I suspect that the 20" short head was supposed to be lined out like the 18" short head, not the 18" long head one.
prewarcat55[1].jpg

Last edited:
Back