When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does your current project look like now?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Now to pick a color to paint it!!

IMG_3420.JPG

A little messing around with the Roadmaster Delivery today after getting in the very nice JAF/CO basket stay. Still cant get the remains of the stem out after numerous tries over the last few months. Months of PB blaster 3-4 times a day, and heat have failed. The top of the stem was cut off by me because it had cracks in it from previously being hammered on, also this allowed me to apply heat to the steer tube directly. About 7-8 inches of stem are inside, and none of my efforts have moved it at all. By the way in case you're wondering why I bothered to install the stay and box, I just needed to see some form of progress. I may even put it together as a rat rider with a Schwinn Cycle Truck fork I have just to see how she rides.

GEDC4028.JPG

GEDC4029.JPG

GEDC4030.JPG

Today's Project, a 41 DX, had these parts and badge "Excelsior" waiting to be assembled, tried to build it pretty close to how we did it in the mid-late 70's with what was available then, got in a little ride before dark and everything felt good. only problem so far is the bars are so wide ( 32 in. ) it wont fit in the car without removing them, hate to cut them but a pain if I had to remove every time so well see!, Oh ya, the OG badge was missing and was a "RICK", one of the ugliest badges I've seen, looks way older style than the bike and big so will just have to live with the shadow of a bigger badge unless I find a big badge I like.View attachment 1374284
View attachment 1374280

View attachment 1374282
View attachment 1374281

View attachment 1374283

View attachment 1374279
I’ve said it before, but I just love this bike. I think my favorite touch is the lightweight sprocket. Just a perfect little period touch.

Reactions: mrg
Here’s the start to my build - 1951 straight bar.
I grew up riding Schwinn bikes and love the old school cruisers.
This will be my first bicycle restoration, so I open to suggestions and comments. (Please go easy on me)
eBay frame buy $158, I checked all the welds on the frame, all were good except a small stress crack at bottom bar in front of cranks, I had it repaired.
I just had the frame powder coated , and still picking up parts to move my project forward.

I am trying to keep as many of the part from the early 50’s but finding it difficult to find parts or parts that the seller is not over charging, I may mix in some repop parts if good Schwinn approved parts, Any Thoughts?

1E028836-693A-4D2C-9D99-98A369F10732.jpeg

D8734FC0-2165-40E5-AD68-FE5CB665662E.jpeg

20377510-268F-49EC-A37B-BA27BB1D47F8.jpeg

6F85082D-999A-4A0F-A91A-FC27B0E34922.jpeg

Here’s the start to my build - 1951 straight bar.
I grew up riding Schwinn bikes and love the old school cruisers.
This will be my first bicycle restoration, so I open to suggestions and comments. (Please go easy on me)
eBay frame buy $158, I checked all the welds on the frame, all were good except a small stress crack at bottom bar in front of cranks, I had it repaired.
I just had the frame powder coated , and still picking up parts to move my project forward.

I am trying to keep as many of the part from the early 50’s but finding it difficult to find parts or parts that the seller is not over charging, I may mix in some repop parts if good Schwinn approved parts, Any Thoughts?

View attachment 1389857

View attachment 1389858

View attachment 1389859

View attachment 1389864
Looks like a good start. Go to the parts wanted page here and ask for what you need. Somebody will reply.

2 solid hours of work later and the remains of the stem are finally out of the Roadmaster Delivery fork. Today's work started with running an air hammer up and down the steer tube, then drilling a hole sideways through the stem. Then a bolt and nut were installed through the stem to keep it from turning when clamped in a vice. Next I twisted the fork with the prybar and pulled. I got almost a inch out this way before it wouldn't twist anymore. More air hammer and some PB blaster got it moving again, and it finally came all the way out. I then cleaned out the steer tube with a 7/8 drill bit.

GEDC4031.JPG

GEDC4032.JPG

GEDC4030.JPG

GEDC4034.JPG

GEDC4033.JPG

Put the rack on my '48 Transfendered Hiawatha, and took it out for a nice cruise. I'd love for this to become a 3 speed, but to do that I'd want a different style shifter. Any cool ideas running around for custom Nexus 3 speed shifters, preferably something that would fit the look of this build?

View attachment 1369690

View attachment 1369691
I while ago a bought a Sturmey Archer thumb shifter which was advertised on amazon to work with a nexus 3. I ordered one and it works perfectly on my 68 Typhoon. I believe it looks nicer than the usual shifter plus it works better.

Last edited:
Back