When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1946 Raleigh Ladies bike for sale in Scotland.

-

KingSized HD

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Stumbled across this and had to share it with someone. (more pics on the ad) Looks like a Raleigh Superbe Dawn Tourist.

Great condition for it's age. Lights/hub generator, Brooks saddle, S-A shifter, chaincase, tool bag, OG documents....wish I could scoop this up for $245 USD equivalent.

Catalog photo credit to https://www.kurtkaminer.com

Last edited:
Stumbled across this and had to share it with someone. (more pics on the ad) Looks like a Raleigh Superbe Dawn Tourist.

Great condition for it's age. Lights/hub generator, Brooks saddle, S-A shifter, chaincase, tool bag, OG documents....wish I could scoop this up for $245 USD equivalent.
View attachment 1396473
View attachment 1396474

View attachment 1396475
Catalog photo credit to https://www.kurtkaminer.com
If that were stateside I’d be all over it!

I have the carcass of a 1949 ladies Dawn Tourist. Note that those are 26” rod braked wheels-ever seen a set? Hope you never have to buy/find a set.
The stem seems to be sticking out a bit too high. I’m guessing it is not the Superbe, as it doesn’t have a fork lock.
That is a wonderful old bike.
Ted

Shame that shipping costs prohibit sending it over to you guys, plus import duty/taxes.
It gets frighteningly expensive.
Which is crazy when you consider how little it costs to take a bike on a plane as personal luggage!
Britain is awash with these bikes, some would say that this example is way overpriced in the UK market. Most people I know wouldn't want to pay more than the equivalent of $150 USD for it.

Shame that shipping costs prohibit sending it over to you guys, plus import duty/taxes.
Which is crazy when you consider how little it costs to take a bike on a plane as personal luggage!
Britain is awash with these bikes, some would say that this example is way overpriced in the UK market. Most people I know wouldn't want to pay more than the equivalent of $150 USD for it.
Wow, interesting to hear how cheap it would sell for vs. in the US. Not sure I’d want to see it with this bike but parts like the chaincase, S-A shifter, light set, seat, fenders, etc in this condition would sell for nice prices here.
I’ve been looking for a 50s 28” green front DL-1 fender for two years w/o luck (I didnt want to pay $200, the only one Ive seen) Wish some of those parts would hit eBay.

Wow, interesting to hear how cheap it would sell for vs. in the US. Not sure I’d want to see it with this bike but parts like the chaincase, S-A shifter, light set, seat, fenders, etc in this condition would sell for nice prices here.
I’ve been looking for a 50s 28” green front DL-1 fender for two years w/o luck (I didnt want to pay $200, the only one Ive seen) Wish some of those parts would hit eBay.

I'll keep an eye out.

Exactly. I guess I stopped "counting" bikes in Britain as a viable option for me because of the shipping cost, and because it's kind of a separate universe in terms of supply. These bicycles are all over Britain, though many are not in as good shape as this one. But the point is that it's prohibitively expensive to ship most of these bikes (maybe not something very old or very rare), yet they have tons of them still over there. Meanwhile in the US, a bike such as this would be an uncommon find and you could look years for one that is complete and in decent shape. It's like the ones in Britain exist in a parallel universe where you can see them online, but you can't get to them in an economical manner.

I own one dark green Raleigh DL-1 style bike from the early 1960s. I believe it was originally in West Germany with a US serviceman and brought back because it was outfitted with West German tires and tubes, and a West German-made heavy drop stand instead of a kickstand. Originally the bike turned up on eBay, but was local sale only and out in the midwest. So I wrote it off. A couple years later, a CABE member turned up with the bike and I bought it from him. He did a nice job shipping it, but it's the only one of its type I've seen in quite a few years, though I will admit I didn't look as much for such a bike after I purchased the green one.

Edit: it's like we'd be back to Hamilton Osgood bringing English bikes into the country before WWII and assembling them in his house in Massachusetts. You'd bring the piece in with your bag and then assemble it. Full circle, I guess.

Exactly. I guess I stopped "counting" bikes in Britain as a viable option for me because of the shipping cost, and because it's kind of a separate universe in terms of supply. These bicycles are all over Britain, though many are not in as good shape as this one. But the point is that it's prohibitively expensive to ship most of these bikes (maybe not something very old or very rare), yet they have tons of them still over there. Meanwhile in the US, a bike such as this would be an uncommon find and you could look years for one that is complete and in decent shape. It's like the ones in Britain exist in a parallel universe where you can see them online, but you can't get to them in an economical manner.

I own one dark green Raleigh DL-1 style bike from the early 1960s. I believe it was originally in West Germany with a US serviceman and brought back because it was outfitted with West German tires and tubes, and a West German-made heavy drop stand instead of a kickstand. Originally the bike turned up on eBay, but was local sale only and out in the midwest. So I wrote it off. A couple years later, a CABE member turned up with the bike and I bought it from him. He did a nice job shipping it, but it's the only one of its type I've seen in quite a few years, though I will admit I didn't look as much for such a bike after I purchased the green one.

Edit: it's like we'd be back to Hamilton Osgood bringing English bikes into the country before WWII and assembling them in his house in Massachusetts. You'd bring the piece in with your bag and then assemble it. Full circle, I guess.

I feel the same, I would love to have a 1930's/40's basic American bike in my stable.
Incredibly good value in the Cabe small ads, but frightening shipping cost quotes and import duties eventually force me to see sense.
It's a real shame.

I’m thinking the Superbe had cable actuated brakes, and the Dawn Tourist was a rod brake bike.
There was a men’s Dawn version for sale, locally, but, it was $600. I would expect a woman’s version to come in cheaper.

Ted

Back