When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Rat-Bike did you ride today?

-
So funny cause I share a bit of all those feelings about this bike and tank! That’s why I put it out there! Any way you slice it...this is an awesome bike!! I’ll keep you all posted on the way this journey takes me! Lmao! One of the coolest parts of this bike is the frame! Check this angle out! So sick!! Have ya ever seen another top tube wishbone around the seat post tube!?!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Really appreciate the feed back guys!
Of course man! We love bikes.

My opinion would be to patina match the tank to the fender color; can of spray paint, some rock salt so the red oxide shows through, & a little scotch brite pad here n there to knock down the shine. Maybe lay it in some dirt & Bingo you got it "faux" matched.

I love the Columbia FireBolt I bought because it's done this way but it does have bare spots in areas & they're not rusted but are gaining natural patina

Patina bikes rule! Something about that imperfection perfection that catches your eye and imagination! If they could only talk and tell their story! Lmao! I’m helping my son with a 1957 Schwinn middleweight bike. Can’t talk him into anything with the patina on it! Lmao! He just doesn’t get it....YET! Keeping my fingers crossed that maybe some day he will!

Patina bikes rule! Something about that imperfection perfection that catches your eye and imagination! If they could only talk and tell their story! Lmao! I’m helping my son with a 1957 Schwinn middleweight bike. Can’t talk him into anything with the patina on it! Lmao! He just doesn’t get it....YET! Keeping my fingers crossed that maybe some day he will!
Hopefully patina jus' shows it's lived a life time of who knows what, made so many unknown memories & even faux patina still protects it to continue to do so for years to come. Sure it's ratty to some but Anybody with lots of money & or time can Restore to Like New. Never met someone well off putting patina on anything or even faux patina something; unless they were trying to scam somebody for money. The older you get the more you enjoy both aspects of new & well aged in different aspects though

Finally, I got a bike that I think is deserving of this thread, most of it a 56 Schwinn Hornet. Also with some additional patina for today’s posts! Not sure about grips and saddle for the future, comments or suggestions are welcomed! Thanks for taking a look.

View attachment 1400048

View attachment 1400049

View attachment 1400053
I dig it but definitely needs a few little added touches; if it were mine I'd do a lower or set back seat, grips more vintage vs bmx & maybe some fenders ... even if you make'em from pvc or wood etc. It has Nice patina !

I dig it but definitely needs a few little added touches; if it were mine I'd do a lower or set back seat, grips more vintage vs bmx & maybe some fenders ... even if you make'em from pvc or wood etc. It has Nice patina !
Thanks, I agree about the grips and a layback - maybe some old metal fenders?;)

Last edited:
Finally, I got a bike that I think is deserving of this thread, most of it a 56 Schwinn Hornet. Also with some additional patina for today’s posts! Not sure about grips and saddle for the future, comments or suggestions are welcomed! Thanks for taking a look.
Nice one Ron, way to roll. Only thing I would change is the seat to one of these persons seats. Then move the messenger over to one of your early 80s cruisers.

with out the tear of course.. but I think a seat like this would fit the bike very well. Heres my old DX, now part of the Lonestar line up in the state of Texas.

Back