When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shelby Siblings

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Is that a factory combo?
does it matter at this point? it's only getting mashed back together anyways..
the bent dropouts arent just a cosmetic thing, it affects the whole bike (fender, rack, wheel, drop stand placement and the alignment of the bike) . is the upper dropout bent up ? or is the lower one bent down ? if the frame was checked tor alignment would be easy to figure out.

BTW,, the front fork on the boys is bent also (the painted fork pic shows that it still is) the tank is center in the bars as it should be, the fender is aligned with the wheel as it should be. the only way that fender is that close to the front of the tank, the fork is forward . ... it's bent above the crown .

does it matter at this point? it's only getting mashed back together anyways..
the bent dropouts arent just a cosmetic thing, it affects the whole bike (fender, rack, wheel, drop stand placement and the alignment of the bike) . is the upper dropout bent up ? or is the lower one bent down ? if the frame was checked tor alignment would be easy to figure out.

BTW,, the front fork on the boys is bent also (the painted fork pic shows that it still is) the tank is center in the bars as it should be, the fender is aligned with the wheel as it should be. the only way that fender is that close to the front of the tank, the fork is forward . ... it's bent above the crown .

Thanks @THE STIG for your input, but I'm not sure why you are being so adversarial about it!

I will attempt to clear up the concerns that you pointed out for the benifit of everyone else that is following along.

Sometimes photos can be misleading. Even though it's does appear that one of the drop outs on the girls frame is bent, that's not what is actually going on. The end of the drop out is actually flared open. From my experience, this seems to be a recurring issue on these frames. I saw the same thing on the Shelby Arrow that I restored for @New Mexico Brant last year and it wasn't a problem. My guess is that it is the result of overtightening the axle nuts.

While the flare is not as it should be, it is at the very end of the drop out (behind the axel location). And even if the axle were mounted in the flared part of the slot, it would only move it off center by about 1/16 of an inch. I do concur that this could've been addressed by welding in more metal but I can't see it causing any of the problems that you listed.

Here's a close photo showing the slot.

As for the fork on the boys bike, in person it appears to be straight. I'm not sure what you are seeing in the painted picture (again, photos can be misleading).

I did a google search and found this side shot of an original Airflow showing a close gap between the fender and tank. I do not see any indication that this fork is bent forward either. If anything, it looks like it might be bent slightly bakward. Keep in mind that these bikes are 80+ years old. They're not perfect.

If these things are this unsettling for you to see, I would suggest that you ignore this thread from here going forward because I will soon be showing things that will be equally disturbing to you.

Spoiler Alert: I purposely left various dents in some of the sheet metal parts!

Last edited:

This Google image of an Unrestored Original shows they are generally close. Restored images shows a gap between the fenders; I personally say if it doesn't cause damage of paint or parts during riding then don't stress it either. If it's a beauty queen just for show then it will Never Matter anyways. These have became 1 of my favorite looking bikes that I will probably Never own so I am No Expert but I would not have stressed fixing the drop outs on the girls bike & if the owner didn't want them fixed then don't. I don't know why I got snapped at but uhm If it's personal we can converse your feelings ....

Reactions: TRM
Back