When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stuck Hussey Stem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bentwoody66

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Am I hallucinating or did I hear somewhere that there were 2 different types? I'm having the damndest time getting the guts for a stem outta this fork.

Is this supposed to come out?

20210511_224155.jpg

20210511_224204.jpg

mannnnn dem dirty husseys....

There are two types @bentwoody66 but the difference between the two is in the way the teeth are oriented not any real mechanical variation.

Brant is right that it is supposed to come out, in fact it should never have been inserted that deep, my instinct is someone hammered on it trying to get it out and drove it down into a tapered part of the steertube effectively wedging that mf'er in there stronger than a factory wedge.

Traditionally to remove a Hussey from the steer tube you "loosen" (which can mean an opposite thread that actually pulls the wedge up) the quill bolt but leave in place the secondary nut which holds the horizontal part of the stem in place. This gives you something to grab / work against while breaking the grease / grime seal and removing the vertical section from the steer tube.

In this instance, the horizontal section was obviously removed first, at which point the stem was loose but the holder didn't know it, then the stem vertical section was hammered down in there in an effort to remove it.

Bummer I know, my instinct in this instance is that it may be most effective to remove the steer tube from the fork crown and replace it with an identical steerer which would give you free range to get the base of the Hussey stem out and not ruin the fork in the process.

Now that I look closer it looks like it has moved pretty significantly from last time I saw it so maybe my thinking about having to cut the steerer is too severe -
Is it moving Kenny?

Can you run a piece of threaded rod in to grab it then use some large washers on the end of the head with a nut, tighten the nut to pull/push/extract the wedge in either direction?

Good luck!

maybe do a lil of tap, tap, tap where you see a gap! Tapping will also increase the tube dia a teensey bit as well.

Back