When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960's Schwinn Continental in Coppertone...Pricing??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This bike is only 10 speed or 15 speed like somebody d3scribe I don't think they made them 15 speed a lower class bike than paramount even it had some improvements as customer taste for a little more....thank you
Schwinn did produce a lower priced bike with a 15 speed. The 1962 Super Continental. Then for 1963 and 64 they made the Sierra that was a 15 speed but it was pretty much in the same class as the Continental.

@HARPO here is the for sale ad on that 1962 Conti. (side pull calipers) I paid less than his asking price and the bike was purchased as a parts donor for one of my Corvette 5 speeds. I sold the complete shift levers to a Cabe member in Denmark for 50 bucks. The rear derailleur sells for over 50 bucks in worse condition than the one on this piece. Wish the original bow pedals were on it, those would have been another $60 + in parts. I don't usually go any higher than $125 for a local lightweight in good condition and only pieces from 1966 and earlier.

This was a one owner. Last half 1961 Continental Tourist that is all original but missing the plastic fenders. A couple drive train parts are worth more than what I paid for the bike.

Last edited:
@GTs58 Very cool! I've owned many 70's versions (and I have the first year 1946 Continental 3-speed), but never a 60's version.

I'm waiting for the guy to get back to me about the seeing his bikes again, the Continental and perhaps a late 50's Hornet. I'll Post as soon as I can get to his house! He's very busy he told me, and he'll contact me. :tonguewink: Patience is NOT one of my virtues, lol.

The frame is too small? Looking at the headtube, it's not 19", it's either 21" or 23", I can't tell for sure.
While on the topic of frame size, how/where is that measured? My mid-80's World Sport fits me just fine. I might like to get another.

IMG_2418.JPG

While on the topic of frame size, how/where is that measured? My mid-80's World Sport fits me just fine. I might like to get another.

View attachment 1412093
Traditionally measured from the center of the crank to the top of the seat tube on the frame. The seat post can be slid up or down for more adjustment, but the frame can't, so that's what they go by. Then whatever seat adjustment you have is up to you.

Traditionally measured from the center of the crank to the top of the seat tube on the frame. The seat post can be slid up or down for more adjustment, but the frame can't, so that's what they go by. Then whatever seat adjustment you have is up to you.

Didn't Schwinn and possibly others change their method of measuring a frame sometime in the 70's? .................. Center of crank to top of top bar @ the seat tube?

Edit: This method was for the diamond frame lightweights.

Last edited:
OK...I just brought it home. And hopefully the $75 I paid for it was worth it. You guys let me know...as well as the year, please. :p

Right off, I know the brake levers were changed out at some point, and possibly the handlebars (and covering) as well. But what about the wheels.rims? They're Rigida Super Chromolux like I've had on my older Peugeot bikes.

Lycett saddle is original and dried out, and all the Huret and Weinmann components look original as well.

Serial number is: J222955

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

Last edited:
@GTs58 Well, looks like it's September 10, 1962 according to the Angel Fire site... :)

BUT...then the fork should be half painted and the brakes should be sidepull.

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 11.28.21 AM.png

Last edited:
Back