When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wards Hawthorne Coaster Brake advice

-

GRANDPAS_RIDE

'Lil Knee Scuffer
This is my first post on CABE, and I am hopeful that someone that is part of the network can help me identify the manufacturer & model of coaster brake on a Wards Hawthorne bicycle I have disassembled with the intention of making it rideable again. I am also hoping to get some maintenance advice.

I believe the bike is from the late 30’s or early 40’s based on when and where my grandfather used it. The bike is equipped with a skip tooth chain.

when I disassembled the hub I was surprised to see a stack of plates instead of the cones I was expecting. To me everything looks in decent condition, but I am hoping someone has experience with assembling this type of unit and can give me some guidance.

The questions I have are as follows:

1. Who made this style of brake, and is a manual available?
  2. The plates don’t appear to have any friction material. Should they?
  3. What should I use to clean the brake? I am concerned about damaging the plates if I use varsol.
  4. Do you have any set up advice?
  5. What lube should be used in the brake? I am assuming assemble bearings with grease and oil for the hubThe hub has a port for adding oil I believe.
I have attached a few photos

Thanks for the assistance

5BD4FE9B-90CC-4EAA-92EC-2D8DA8647959.jpeg

53A04B06-A38E-4FD9-9BBA-931BD5AB6B71.jpeg

AC211776-3A43-4D7A-8BB3-63E612A1B845.jpeg

C8813CE1-D96E-41DB-A191-241E5CC5504B.jpeg

It's a New Departure hub --probably a model "D"---maybe earlier. It will say on the hub shell. These are very common, good hubs that are easy to rebuild or just clean/service. there are several decent, step-by-step videos on youtube on how to rebuild this hub. Good Luck! P.S. The clutch plates do not have a friction material as in automotive cases.

This is my first post on CABE, and I am hopeful that someone that is part of the network can help me identify the manufacturer & model of coaster brake on a Wards Hawthorne bicycle I have disassembled with the intention of making it rideable again. I am also hoping to get some maintenance advice.

I believe the bike is from the late 30’s or early 40’s based on when and where my grandfather used it. The bike is equipped with a skip tooth chain.

when I disassembled the hub I was surprised to see a stack of plates instead of the cones I was expecting. To me everything looks in decent condition, but I am hoping someone has experience with assembling this type of unit and can give me some guidance.

The questions I have are as follows:

1. Who made this style of brake, and is a manual available?
  2. The plates don’t appear to have any friction material. Should they?
  3. What should I use to clean the brake? I am concerned about damaging the plates if I use varsol.
  4. Do you have any set up advice?
  5. What lube should be used in the brake? I am assuming assemble bearings with grease and oil for the hubThe hub has a port for adding oil I believe.
I have attached a few photos

Thanks for the assistance

View attachment 1414140

View attachment 1414141

View attachment 1414142

View attachment 1414147
New Departure... There are tons of threads on here how to redo these hubs...
A good start is here, post #20. pg 199 in the manual...

New Departure... There are tons of threads on here how to redo these hubs...
A good start is here, post #20. pg 199 in the manual...
Thanks for the disassembly and assembly information. It was very helpful. Having said that I have a bit of an issue that I’m hoping you can assist with.

The hub was missing a lock nut from the drive side (see photos). The axle appears to be M10 (a little larger than 3/8”) and I thought it was a 1.0 pitch thread, but that doesn’t appear to be correct as the nut I do have wouldn’t thread on a M10 1.0 pitch bolt.

I am surprised that it is metric in the first place. Do You have any suggestions?

8BE72847-8A0E-4FE9-8D76-15AC6DD804F5.jpeg

CD5345FE-8F5F-479E-AED0-E847876A7C29.jpeg

It is not metric. It is a proprietary inch thread, same as a common 3/8" coaster axle, but larger in diameter. I suggest you advertise in the classifieds here for what you need, as used is one possibility, but we also have a member here who makes nuts for these. I cannot at the moment remember who it is.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will take your advice and post on the classifieds for what I need. If you think of the name of the member who makes the nuts let me know.
Thanks again

Grandpasride--I'd be glad to send you one. Send me a private message with your address and I'll drop one into a regular envelope--no problem. I'm not sure about the rules --newish members might not be able to send private messages. I will P.M. you

I have used this video a few times. I would use WD-40 to clean all the old grease off and park bicycle grease when putting it back together. FYI the dustcap is reverse threaded so you will need to bang it clockwise with a hammer and punch (or flathead screwdriver) to remove it and access the inner bearing. Sometimes the discs for these can get worn over time and replacement discs may be required. See pic of worn brake disc below. Notice how they have kinda flattened out on the edge and almost look like nail heads. Hopefully yours don't look so bad. Also the transfer spring often needs replacing as well. See picture of worn transfer spring. It's hard to tell based on the pictures you posted if these parts are worn. I believe it was @FSH who made the nuts for these. By the way. Grandpa had a very cool bike and that one is totally worth getting rolling again. Good luck!https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...o7QBegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw05pGPMD071p6F9I50R5Feu

20210414_134343.jpg

20210412_134527.jpg

20210411_160530.jpg

Back