When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miami chainring minutiae

-
I have the same chain ring on mine.

One more possible Miami ring for prosperity. Also posted recently on the chainwheel compilation. Not sure how I came by this one, but it fits my Emblem, 2" drive pin offset crank. Only Miami and Emblem apparantly used a 2" offset drive pin c/c. Most likely from the same maker, but who was the maker? D&J? The ad with the motorbike from 1917 when blown up matches this ring pretty good.
1621712105178.png

1621712178813.png

Last edited:
In addition to @redline1968 's proclamation ...
some rings have a small, drive-pin portal ....
some do not.

Building a Miami from parts acquired from
different places is not for the impatient.

The manufacturer was once one of the
largest producer of an array of wonderful
bicycles and motorcycles. Today, every-
thing Miami-built is elusive.

Have observed more Racycle stuff over the
years .. but even those fall numerically-short
compared to Davis relics.

If you're looking for a non-frustrating teen's
machine to build .. or just to find a few missing
parts to add to a machine that needs limited
attention to get it ready to ride .. or, maybe
just display ... stick with Westfield and Schwinn.
Great Bicycles ... plenty of availability.

But .. if you are steeled to walk the labyrinth ...
and are guided by a patient soul ... go ahead ...
ride the Lightning that Miami built.

..... patric
And if Davis and Miami wasnt bad enough, try searching for Consolidated Yale stuff!

Year long bump on Miami Chainring Minutia. Here are some other observations with photos. As so far understood, Miami really had a wide variety of Rings and Arms. D&J specific Assemblies into the mid teens(?) and the simpler, more common One Piece crank arms with rings mid-teens(?) through 1923. I do not know if these D&J/Miami cranksets and assemblies were all being made in-house or in another location up until Westfield took over. . One-piece crankarms and rings on teens through 23 Miami machines are many, complicated and needs further work. The arms themselves are mysterious things to me. These non-center drive crank arms and rings were on so many Miami models and seem quite varied.
A ring and crank I picked up that I have not seen in any advertising lit. yet. ASturmer believes it is Miami made, but not sure as I haven't seen it before in 1/2" pitch. It does have the 15/16th center opening, 1-3/8" drive pin spacing and the small, 5/16th drive pin hole. Any other insight would be appreciated.
1657310398092.jpeg

1657310558095.jpeg

I have seen forge stampings on Miami ARMS with both a "D" that fits the 1" chainring hole/1-3/8" drive pin spacing and a "B" like on the above crank arm but fitting the smaller 15/16th chainring hole/1-3/8" pin spacing. Is this how you tell what ring(15/16 vs 1") that the ARM fits properly?
1657310577515.jpeg

Below @Krakatoa picture of his possible Miami dogleg arm and ring he had for sale. Nate, do you still have this for some measurements?
1657311279179.jpeg

1657311140557.jpeg

. The sweetheart Miami below has a 1" center opening, 1-3/8" hole spacing and small 5/16th" drive pin hole.
1657311971327.jpeg

Miami's other Merkel-related 2" drive pin spaced one-piece Crank Arms also had the smaller 15/16th sprocket hole but larger 3/8 drive pin hole.

Last edited:
Miami's other Merkel-related 2" drive pin spaced one-piece Crank Arms also had the smaller 15/16th sprocket hole but larger 3/8 drive pin hole.
Incorrectly stated above. Lets try again. The 2" drive pin spaced cranks/rings had the larger, 1" , not a 15/16th center hole. Oversized, 24tpi, 1" cone threads on the drive side with the odd 2" spacing on the drive pin. I have seen a few busted 2" spaced drive pin crank arms l and perhaps the stiffer nature of them made for less flex and more failures near the thin area? Speculation.
1657430765963.jpeg

Notice the Schwinn headset race cup threaded on the 1" drive side?

Last edited:
Back