When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960's Schwinn Continental in Coppertone...Pricing??

-
@1motime This is the same guy I bought the Schwinn Starlet from. He said this is what he paid for the bike, so who knows.

He also had a '57 or '58 Hornet with the tank, rear rack and truss rods (not the deluxe model). He wanted $225 for it, but the paint was really shot, as was the chrome.

One at a time! You must have a lot of space. Only so much can be done with bad paint and chrome. Unless you want to expand and part things out!

@GTs58 Well, looks like it's September 10, 1962 according to the Angel Fire site... :)

BUT...then the fork should be half painted and the brakes should be sidepull.

View attachment 1417774

Well I'm really scratching my head on this one! 1962 serial and most all the parts fit for that year with a few that are for 1963. Note the fork on my 62 example I previously posted and the catalog image of the 62 Super Conti.
You have low flange hubs with a possible axle change. Brake levers need to be put back to original by tossing those added on suicide levers. The freewheel looks correct for 62 with 15-25. The 63 went to 14-28. I've seen a 1963 Conti that had mix match parts with some later 1964 parts, but it looked legit. That Conti is well worth the purchase price IMO, and if you part it out please give me first crack! :tonguewink: Maybe @Eric Amlie can add his thoughts?
  1. 1962 should have high flange hubs. 1963 had low flange Atoms with quick release.
  2. 1962 should have side pull calipers. 1963 had center pull. But it looks like the 62 Super Conti has center pull.
  3. 1962 should have an Ideale saddle. 1963 had the lycett.

GTs58, you know these bikes at least as well as I do.
Everything that you've written so far in this thread sounds correct to me, and I agree with you that no matter what the serial number is, this bike was built as a '63 model.
IIRC, there has been quite a bit of discussion on the subject of serial numbers and when they were stamped as opposed to when the frame was actually built up into a complete bike and shipped out to a dealer to be sold.

@GTs58 @Eric Amlie So, did Schwinn actually use Rigida rims back then, making these original to the bike? The hubs look really cheap, though.
Just another French maker, then, along with Huret on the bike I suppose.

I don't have any notes on the rims for the '63 Conti other than that they were steel, but I know that the rims on the '60 Conti were steel Rigidas with the "knurled" braking surfaces, so I wouldn't be surprised if they continued on with them to the '63 models.

Back