When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for some advice...

-

highship

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have recently become somewhat overwhelmed by the amount of bicycle stuff I have managed to squirrel away over the years. Priorities have changed and I think it's time to let most of it go. Truthfully I don't think I would use most of it even if I hadn't decided to move on from it. For me, part of the hobby was just collecting stuff, didn't have to be for any project in particular. I have a wide array of stuff from advertising to complete bikes and everything in between, at least a few truck loads worth. I have sold on-line in the past and found it to be a royal pain, especially if they were low cost items. I've also done the Craigslist thing quite a few times and that's kind of a pain as well. Ideally I would find someone that would buy everything but I'm not sure how to go about that. Not a big fan of parading a lot of tire kickers through my space to check out my stuff. I understand that concessions will need to be made to sell this stuff but I'm curious what you all think. How would you go about pulling this off? I'm also wondering how to figure a lot price? I have a pretty good idea on the worth of most of my stuff but I think it's unrealistic to add it all up for the lot price. Maybe smaller lots? Let me know what you would do. Thanks in advance for taking the time to give your thoughts.

This is a great place to start! I am sure you will get some helpful advice from the other Cabe members.
Pics would be step 2...
Good luck, I'm dyin' to see whatcha got!🙂
Don’t get to excited , no Blue Birds here... I would post some pics but I didn’t want to break any rules, not sure on pricing yet...

I understand your dilemma... recently I went through the same process when my wife took a dump on me and decided to get a divorce...it left me with 30 years of bicycle Collections and fifty years stuff that I had to immediately sell to survive the finacial problems caused by her. it was overwhelming and sad. So i say this is a good place to start...I sold a lot of great stuff to great people on this site for which I'm really happy to do.. the first thing you should do is to liquidate the ones that are high interests and what you dont want to hold on too...so post pictures of what you want to sell with a fair price ...these guys are serious collectors and will appreciate the special bikes and parts you've kept for now.

I would take the most valuable items and price them.Next I would start on like items that are not as valuable and .Next I would take items that are just things that are not worth anything and bundle them in lots of 6.The total garbage I would use to sweeten a deal and in the end just throw useless items.

I'm in the same boat as you, maybe worse and what I've been doing for the past few years is taking 100 lot loads to a local reputable, well advertised consignment auction. My collection like yours ranges from vintage car parts, bikes, toys etc. Their take is 25% but all I do is cash the check. I've never sold on e-bay, tried craigs list ( pain ). If you find your happy price you can take it to a local swap or flea market. This weekend I'm taking a load of vintage race car parts to Thompson dragways gasser meet. You can pick the venue for what your selling, like bike parts to ML or BH or here.. There is a huge steam tractor antique show in July, I will separate a load to take there. We thought of having an auction here and its all gone in one day. I don't think I'm ready for that yet. Good Luck with your sales.

I understand your dilemma... recently I went through the same process when my wife took a dump on me and decided to get a divorce...it left me with 30 years of bicycle Collections and fifty years stuff that I had to immediately sell to survive the finacial problems caused by her. it was overwhelming and sad. So i say this is a good place to start...I sold a lot of great stuff to great people on this site for which I'm really happy to do.. the first thing you should do is to liquidate the ones that are high interests and what you dont want to hold on too...so post pictures of what you want to sell with a fair price ...these guys are serious collectors and will appreciate the special bikes and parts you've kept for now.
I’m sorry to hear that, all to familiar of a story...
I don’t really have a lot of high end stuff so I’m not sure if I could attract the serious collectors...

Sometimes thats where an auction is good, you don't need serious collectors just two people wanting the same item. My wife took 124 old dolls to that consignment auction, she thought they would bring $10-$20 each alot of them went well over $300 each. She had a good day and didn't mind the 25% with those results. I have to say some didn't even sell.

Back