When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Breezer series one fake

-
That's so cool. Joe won Repack on his Breezer the first year he rode it in part maybe because Gary Fisher didn't have one, they say. It's amazing that the top times riding down that whole mountain are seconds apart. These guys were not fooling around. Did the first Breezers have a front double or triple socket?
Some had double, some triple chainrings. Some had alloy rims, some steel. Different pedals, different derailleurs, different bars, and at least three different kinds of cantilever brakes. Not all had the Brooks B 72, at least one had what looks like a 68? There are also different hubs, some quick release and some not. Joe couldn’t get tubing in the lengths and sizes as the bike tubing suppliers wouldn’t make a special order for him. He bought 20 foot lengths of straight gauge aircraft chrome moly and cut it himself. He was worried that it might not be as strong as bike tubing and used laterals. He made ten but ran out of the aircraft tubing on number ten so the last one he made has a piece of tubing from a road bike in the frame. He made them from what he could get. It looks like, from photos, that there were a least two sizes of frames, but that’s a guess.

Last edited:
On the road today for the first time. There are some issues to resolve.

Looks like one of the issues might be the front brake position being to high. Or is that an optical delusion? ;) Cool rough country ride!
It’s too high for my liking. I have another fork and a set of cantilever mounts so I’ll have to do that. It works and clears everything, including the tires, but just a little lower would be better. I put them on with a tack weld and remove and adjust if necessary. Ive done this several times before and this was the first set of cantilevers that I didn’t have to remove and reposition. Once they are welded on your done. Good eye. Also notice the down tube cable guides. Their bent from my shifting and new ones will have to be installed. What a learning process. This project is right at the top of my ability and patience. It’s a bit much. It’s a stupid project with no real use except gravel riding. I had most of the stuff so it became a pandemic project. I’m as tired of building this as I am the pandemic. I’m almost ready to hang it in my barn attic and forget about it.

Last edited:
It’s too high for my liking. I have another fork and a set of cantilever mounts so I’ll have to do that. It works and clears everything, including the tires, but just a little lower would be better. I put them on with a tack weld and remove and adjust if necessary. Ive done this several times before and this was the first set of cantilevers that I didn’t have to remove and reposition. Once they are welded on your done. Good eye. This project is right at the top of my ability and patience. It’s a bit much.

Can you modify the drop out slot on the fork, looks like it's not deep enough and the washer is hanging past the drop out.

Can you modify the drop out slot on the fork, looks like it's not deep enough and the washer is hanging past the drop out.
It’s in there, but I would like it to be deeper. If it was in there deeper the cantilever mounts would probably fit. The fork is homemade, welded together from two forks and spread from 94 to 100 mm. I’m pretty sure I just need a different fork. I used a welded in gusset and through pins above and below the fork welds so that any failure would not be catastrophic. I just put it together with what I had as I didn’t want to buy any parts until I get to the point where I’m reasonably confident I can do this. it rides but there is a ton of work still needed.

I got it in all the way. It’s better but I would still like the brake mounts a little lower. I worked on new down tube cable mounts today. It started raining so hard that I don’t want to go back to my shop to finish them. It’s going to rain until Saturday.

I got it in all the way. It’s better but I would still like the brake mounts a little lower. I worked on new down tube cable mounts today. It started raining so hard that I don’t want to go back to my shop to finish them. It’s going to rain until Saturday.
I bought a new fork and welded on cantilever bosses. Much better than the old 24 inch one welded up using parts from two other forks. No one likes a sketchy fork. I hate to buy stuff when I can make it cheap, but safety is more important than cheap.

Back