When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'64 Columbia Fire Bolt; Rat Rod

-
I'm there too. Alleycruiser. But I haven't been on in a while. Too much good stuff on here..........

I think both these sites are a Great Wealth of Knowledge & Ideas. Other than just the custom motorized bike forums we have a lot on lock down; Especially members of both ;)

Reactions: ian
The member bairdco on RRB gave me the idea of using a Motori Minarelli V1 moped motor on a bike; I haven't done it Yet but I have it running, the knowledge to build it up & should easily be capable of 55mph+ once I have the funds. I have a 110cc semi auto 4 speed Honda clone I want to put on a '04 Nirve Switchblade for a Goal of 55mph or as fast I can control it semi recklessly ;)

Reactions: ian
Sooo small little update; I am No Master Metal Worker or fabricator but I try to learn a little bit of everything when or where I can .... started using an old piece of solid copper roofing I pulled off an old house that was being re roofed & remodeled. I made a wood form of the Columbia's tank opening & started forming this around it by hand + rubber mallet. It fits under the top tube & double straight bars that are the integrated rear rack Nicely❗

It's by No Means Finished as I have to decide how I want to form it at the head tube, of course sand/clean polish, & figure out for sure what I wanna finalize it as with so many ideas possible but I am making a Copper Horn Tank for the '64😎 ....

I am Not Sure I won't end up making this a horn tank & tool box but figured this might be some kinda inspiration or idea for all you tankless guys; at least as a place holder ....

@coasterbrakejunkie1969 , @DonChristie , @jimbo53 , @Bike from the Dead

Sooo small little update; I am No Master Metal Worker or fabricator but I try to learn a little bit of everything when or where I can .... started using an old piece of solid copper roofing I pulled off an old house that was being re roofed & remodeled. I made a wood form of the Columbia's tank opening & started forming this around it by hand + rubber mallet. It fits under the top tube & double straight bars that are the integrated rear rack Nicely❗ View attachment 1425737
View attachment 1425739

It's by No Means Finished as I have to decide how I want to form it at the head tube, of course sand/clean polish, & figure out for sure what I wanna finalize it as with so many ideas possible but I am making a Copper Horn Tank for the '64😎 ....

I am Not Sure I won't end up making this a horn tank & tool box but figured this might be some kinda inspiration or idea for all you tankless guys; at least as a place holder ....

Looks great!

I am making a Copper Horn Tank for the '64😎 ...
Super that is fantastic, I love it. That is a great idea. Maybe some sort of filler or glue some sort of backer to give it a little more resistance to getting dinged up. You can solder two half's together to make a complete tank or even some ribs inside to make it ridged as well. Looking forwards to seeing how you make out.

Super that is fantastic, I love it. That is a great idea. Maybe some sort of filler or glue some sort of backer to give it a little more resistance to getting dinged up. You can solder two half's together to make a complete tank or even some ribs inside to make it ridged as well. Looking forwards to seeing how you make out.
Funny you should mention the structural strength as I've already been thinking on that; 1 idea is If I do make it into a horn tank/toolbox would be outer rivits along the perimeter & bracing (maybe old fender braces) inside length wise & vertical hammered flat.

I'm Not 💯% Sure yet if I will paint it to blend with the bike; pinstripe it & do the vintage Columbia script on the sides, Firebolt & or maybe the # 64 in a Period Looking font.
Kinda undecided if I kinda wanna mix n match the aluminum I have added to it with the copper for a semi steam punk look ....

I just got a bunch of junk parts bikes so I may be adding the 3 piece crank setup I have so that could be aluminum or steel crank arms

Not to mention I have other ideas for using this copper since it's thinner than the aluminum I have and a little easier bent to shapes ;)

Sooo small little update; I am No Master Metal Worker or fabricator but I try to learn a little bit of everything when or where I can .... started using an old piece of solid copper roofing I pulled off an old house that was being re roofed & remodeled. I made a wood form of the Columbia's tank opening & started forming this around it by hand + rubber mallet. It fits under the top tube & double straight bars that are the integrated rear rack Nicely❗ View attachment 1425737
View attachment 1425739

Looking good! I'll have to play around with metal at some point to see if I can make my own metal tanks from scratch! Can't wait to see where this goes!

Little bit of a Teaser; I promised the F86 Sabre jet was goin' back on the bike; of course I polished it & the aluminum bar stock will need some sanding / polishing but fender ornament is getting closer to back on.
The sharpie is for 2 flat philips heads that the fender support bracket will mount it to the fender 😉

20210715_154802.jpg

Back