When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 BF Goodrich Schwinn World

-
Got a good shot of the BB shell with the serial number?

20210613_151411.jpg

Hang on here, another one for the fleet? You need to change to 'The Bike A Week Guy". 🤣 That looks like it will clean up nicely and make a cool rider. (Just like the last 3,😉
Might be time for the pre 1960 Schwinn 12 step program...

Hang on here, another one for the fleet?
Might be time for the pre 1960 Schwinn 12 step program...
This is what I have been looking for. I had to buy the 1941 girls bike, it was only 40 bucks. The B6 was only $150. The '50 Traveler needed me to save it.... it looked so sad all rusted. I should have passed on the 50 girls bike since the stem won't come out of the fork. In my defense I passed on a bunch of 60's lightweights I was considering. Pretty sure I am done for now.

Well I wasn't ready for a J serial making it even later! So the head tube and tubing joints are EF also, can't tell for sure in those 8' shots? Most likely a 43 issue if they are, and I hope your crank is dated. 🧐
1943. Cool. I'll just go with that. I took it out today after lubing the chain and oiling the rear hub which brought back functioning brakes. I don't plan on doing anything to it other than ride it for now. I'll have to wait on checking the crank until after I finish my Traveler. Thanks for all the info and links.

This is what I have been looking for. I had to buy the 1941 girls bike, it was only 40 bucks. The B6 was only $150. The '50 Traveler needed me to save it.... it looked so sad all rusted. I should have passed on the 50 girls bike since the stem won't come out of the fork. In my defense I passed on a bunch of 60's lightweights I was considering. Pretty sure I am done for now.
Try PineSol or other pine cleaner on the stuck stem. When I was preserving my Pierce the stem would not budge. I spent two weeks with PB Blaster, Kroil, WD40, etc. light propane heat, heat gun. Somewhere I saw someone reference pine oil cleaner for freeing rusted parts. Turned it upside down and dropped some in, next day put the forks in a vice and gave a bars a twist, presto. Now maybe it was all the other stuff but knows? I should do some experiments with rusty items in pine cleaner..

Only one other J99000 on the list and there's a big gab between these and the next sets of J numbers that are quite a bit lower. I have to assume your frame has all the electro-forged joints as the pieces with early J numbers. I'd like to see the bottom bracket on a J war time Cycle Truck to see if they are different.
This is another one @Miq should add to the list. 😉

Reactions: Miq
bought a set of original black paint pre war fenders from a fellow caber today. so I'll be looking good but not correct. I'll still keep an eye out for a single brace rear fender. I have found the best way to get a part you need is buy a close replacement, then the exact one will come along soon after for half price.

Cool wartime bike @49autocycledeluxe !
Only one other J99000 on the list and there's a big gab between these and the next sets of J numbers that are quite a bit lower. I have to assume your frame has all the electro-forged joints as the pieces with early J numbers. I'd like to see the bottom bracket on a J war time Cycle Truck to see if they are different.
This is another one @Miq should add to the list. 😉
I added it to the list tonight. Thanks!

.. I need a pre war brace for my matching crummy front fender if anyone has one. I have a '41 girls bike with no fenders I may use my new black fenders on it and keep the rusty ones on this bike.

Back