When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mead crusader info & serial # help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Mikeob

Look Ma, No Hands!
I just purchased this bad boy, looking to find out more info on it. Hard to see the serial # , looks like R18866 and below that it reads 26 by itself. My question is i was told that this was a 1916 Mead Crusader (has badge)but im thinking 1926. Also any help maybe what the R tells me. Thank you , im a newbie.

20200820_092615.jpg

Screenshot_20200808-125424_eBay.jpg

The serial numbers stamping pattern like a Great Western Mfg. built bicycle.
I have only seen such latter alphabet letters on the CABE.

Is the Fauber crankset (identified in another more recent post) of the threaded 45mm type? I have seen more standard bottom bracket crank hangers on later bikes.
I think I found where the bike came from.
The forged crown forks look peculiar, although I have seen similar Mead forks, but of the ribbed design; (pre-ribbed?).

Last edited:
Sometimes a thin (or just thinner) washer under the right side bearing cone may do the trick.
I believe that one or two AN960-1416L (steel 7/8" x 0.032" thin) washers help sometimes.
Otherwise, I have also swapped-out for what I thought were deeper bearing cups, or shorter bearing cones.
Sometimes the washers that may be provided with replacement bottom bracket bearing kits are too thick.

I have also once found an old bike with smaller 1/4" bearing balls instead of the more typical 5/16".

Back