When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Francisco Bay Area Craigslist Schwinn pricing !!!

-
Late to the thread, but I've lived here in the south Bay Area for my entire 65 years. I remember seeing the "driveway" listings many years ago... possibly before the Cabe forums existed (or at least this iteration that began in what... 2006?). I remember a Cabe website before that, but without forums (?). And Craigslist began in the latter 90's I think. Anyway, to each their own I guess. I think of myself as sort of a "purist" who likes things original for the most part, and seeing 50's and 60's middleweights stripped of original parts and made into "bombers" and "klunkers" leaves me a bit cold. And since VERY few nice original and mostly complete specimens turn up around here (part of the reason for the high prices, no doubt), seeing modified and parted out bikes is all the more demoralizing to someone like me. Lowkey offers a hell of a lot of bikes, but they don't turn over very quickly (at least not the ones on CL). Occasionally they offer a mid-century middleweight that is basically unmolested, but they tend to be the lower grade, less deluxe models. Maybe he keeps the "good stuff"? I have no idea, but as someone said above, if he's succeeding at doing it his way, more power to him. I'm just a complainer. 🙃

Naturally, just as I go on this rant, a 1950's Corvette turns up on CL locally... for only $600 (yes, that's cheap for this area). Of course, I'm no expert (and the photos are limited in quality and quantity), so I don't know if this is a totally legit example: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/d/san-jose-schwinn-corvette-1950s-cruiser/7335021709.html

Not a bad corvette, and the price is reasonable, but couldn't the seller have taken a couple better pics? Interesting how people list things for sale when they do not have to pay for the listing... Makes me wonder if the bike is missing a chainguard.

I think Ebay tops the list for stupid pricing on bikes! ($1900)

This seller is out to lunch with his pricing on this bike and the $195 shipping price!!!

If you think that write up is bad, you should check out the listings from this hack who sells bikes on Ebay regularly..........................!

I don't know if this seller is a "hack". I bought a bike from him. Ignored his endless sales hype and got something that he was not aware of. Horrible packing job though and it got damaged. When I memtioned it he started babbling like his description. That is the way he talks. He made up for it to a point but I would avoid this guy

The seller mentioned in this thread takes, what I consider to be a lot of shortcuts in his builds. Very, very few are correct, but they look good to the untrained eye. It seems that his customers are either misled or ignorant. Its not that hard to buy new Chinese wheels and parts to make an old Schwinn "look good".

I don't know if this seller is a "hack". I bought a bike from him. Ignored his endless sales hype and got something that he was not aware of. Horrible packing job though and it got damaged. When I memtioned it he started babbling like his description. That is the way he talks. He made up for it to a point but I would avoid this guy
When you say you got something he was unaware of do you mean he sold you a bike and he didn't know exactly what he was selling? What did you score ? Just curious. He gets some decent bikes often better prices then most ebay sellers but still to high for the most part.

Back