When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Middleweight seat cover removal

-

Tim the Skid

Skidding on my '41 Schwinn Autocycle
Does anyone have an easy method for removing the vinyl covers on the middleweight seats and re-installing them? I have a mint cover with a broken frame and a torn cover with a good frame and I'd like to swap them out.

I’ve had great success putting the seat on the dashboard of my car for a while on a hot sunny day. The seat cover stretches easily and retains its shape. I Heard boiling water works as well but haven’t tried it.

Does anyone have an easy method for removing the vinyl covers on the middleweight seats and re-installing them? I have a mint cover with a broken frame and a torn cover with a good frame and I'd like to swap them out.
I have wondered this myself having bought a great seat that clearly had the pan refinished. Maybe using a heat gun to soften it and to shrink it once it is stretched back on. I'm interested on hearing what others have to say especially someone who has done it.

Thank you for the replies. I think I came up with a similiar method. After I posted the question, I went outside and put the seat top side down in the sun. It's pretty warm here today. The vinyl got very soft and flexible, so I put two of my Park flat wrenches with the rubber coated handles under the vinyl at the corner and worked my way around the seat like removing a tire. It came off easily, now I hope I can put it back on!

Last edited:
Back