When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'80 Spitfire front hub rebuild

-

HBSyncro

Finally riding a big boys bike
Had some problems with the wife's front wheel so I disassembled the hub and it is a mess. I can't remember what I did when I built it, but I want to get it back up to speed with the correct parts. This is what I know:

Bike is a 1980 Spitfire. Hub is a Schwinn Approved high flange and LBS owner told me they were made by ACS. It takes 15/64 ball bearings which I have found online (no problem). It needs new cones which I found on the bay. The ACS hub cones are said to fit the Schwinn high flange hubs and are 3/8 x 24 tpi and only fit 15/64 ball bearings. The current axel I have is not 24 tpi and doesn't fit anything on my thread gauge so it must be metric. I want to buy axels, cones, ball bearings, and axel nuts. I have my list but have not bought anything yet. The axels seem the hardest to locate, but I don't need original oem, just anything that will work. Is my info correct? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

tempImageDhRaxZ.png

tempImagecdywBz.png

The looks of the hub absolutely scream ACS, so I think you have that right.

The axle and cones you have in there look exactly like the ones in my high flange prewar hub. They don't belong in it. I suspect they don't belong in your hub either.

My axle and cones were bought at a Schwinn store around 1978, and my best guess is they are for something that was more common at that time. Probably an Atom drum brake. At one time I identified a part number for the axle, but never the application. It is discontinued and hard to get. It is not something you would want to chase unless it turns out it really belongs in your hub.

If I am not mistaken, 3/8-24 is a Skyway Tuff Wheel front axle. You could probably source that.

EDIT: Not anymore apparently, but maybe you could shorten a 24TPI rear coaster axle.

Last edited:
Had some problems with the wife's front wheel so I disassembled the hub and it is a mess. I can't remember what I did when I built it, but I want to get it back up to speed with the correct parts. This is what I know:

Bike is a 1980 Spitfire. Hub is a Schwinn Approved high flange and LBS owner told me they were made by ACS. It takes 15/64 ball bearings which I have found online (no problem). It needs new cones which I found on the bay. The ACS hub cones are said to fit the Schwinn high flange hubs and are 3/8 x 24 tpi and only fit 15/64 ball bearings. The current axel I have is not 24 tpi and doesn't fit anything on my thread gauge so it must be metric. I want to buy axels, cones, ball bearings, and axel nuts. I have my list but have not bought anything yet. The axels seem the hardest to locate, but I don't need original oem, just anything that will work. Is my info correct? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

View attachment 1449470

View attachment 1449471

First of all, if it is a 1980, then it is a Cruiser, not a Spitfire. And yes, those hubs were made by ACS. But from looking at the rim in the pic, that is not the original wheel for the bike.

Here is your OE parts list:

There seem to be lots of generic axles for bmx/cruisers that are 3/8 and 24 tpi. The lengths are all different, but I guess I can cut it down to 5 1/2".

Something to note... does the new axle need to be flatted on 2 sides like the original one in the picture? If you get a regular round 3/8x24T axle, it probably won't fit back into your fork. Maybe it's obvious, but wanted to make sure you realize that.

There seem to be lots of generic axles for bmx/cruisers that are 3/8 and 24 tpi. The lengths are all different, but I guess I can cut it down to 5 1/2".
Most are rear axles. It should be fine, but there is usually an unthreaded part in the middle, and how much is unthreaded varies. Make sure you are going to be able to screw the cones all the way in.

Something to note... does the new axle need to be flatted on 2 sides like the original one in the picture? If you get a regular round 3/8x24T axle, it probably won't fit back into your fork. Maybe it's obvious, but wanted to make sure you realize that.
That is a common problem that arises when you put a 3/8 axle on a fork meant for 5/16. It might not be obvious from the pictures but his current axle is not flatted, at least I don't think it is, unless someone filed it. It has a key slot on one side and some rather nice little keyed washers. If it went in the fork, another round axle should go in.

View attachment 1449470

View attachment 1449471

I would love to see a few pics of the complete bike...........

Will post a pic. Ordered all parts. Unable to source a flat ended axle, but I'm gonna give it a go.

Back