When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fork with Open Closed Drop-Out

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'm Going with both methods stretch it or cut it .
If the bike was some Holy Grail original paint item that might be different but you can always weld a piece back in .
It will be way easier to change tires fix flats etc . if you cut it .
If you do stretch it it shouldn't break but there's always a chance that it might or may crack .
I have one on one of my bikes that after stripping several layers of old paint off was cracked in 3 places probably from being stretched over many decades of tire changes .
The forks I've have are closed on both ends and the hubs do not have lock nuts on the cones .

Fork Spreader

Fork_Spreader_n.jpg

maybe you can find an axle that's threaded end to end.
Probably a 5/16” x 24 TPI. Unles you’re totally committed to 100.00% original, you can buy a complete axle with bearings, adjusters, washers, and nuts for not much $. You might be able to pick up some all-thread and custom make an axle the length you want that you can thread all the way into one adjuster. My tap and die set has the correct die for a non Schwinn axle. Double nut one end of you axle, clamp it into our vice and cut threads to the existing threads on the other end. You might be lucky and have the two match when they meet, but don’t count on it. I have a 1935 Elgin with a similar fork. I also have a nice cutoff wheel. I’m thinking about changing flats in the future, maybe while on the road.

Probably a 5/16” x 24 TPI. Unles you’re totally committed to 100.00% original, you can buy a complete axle with bearings, adjusters, washers, and nuts for not much $. You might be able to pick up some all-thread and custom make an axle the length you want that you can thread all the way into one adjuster. My tap and die set has the correct die for a non Schwinn axle. Double nut one end of you axle, clamp it into our vice and cut threads to the existing threads on the other end. You might be lucky and have the two match when they meet, but don’t count on it. I have a 1935 Elgin with a similar fork. I also have a nice cutoff wheel. I’m thinking about changing flats in the future, maybe while on the road.
Thank you for your suggestions, Rivnut. These are very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to share your insights!

Back