When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold 1971 Schwinn Sting-Ray Grey Ghost (Original)

-
Price
Zipcode

Jason29

On Training Wheels
My older brother passed away back in 2012 and when I was cleaning out his house for his son and the family, I came across this original Grey Ghost that appears to have been built in October 1971 based on the serial number. My brother had one of these as a child and then bought one at some point in the past when he was an adult. I believe this bike to be an original Grey Ghost and not a replica. The bike is in good condition for being 50 years old. Certainly not perfect and is unrestored. Has some patina on the metal and some light pitting in places. It also has a few scratches and blemishes, as would be expected for its age. Someone has given it TLC in the past and done some restoring in places from what experts have told me. I have a 1971 Schwinn Owner's Manual that will go with the bike.

We are aware of what these are worth and their collectibility, so please, no trades or low ball offers. This is not a must sell situation and if we can't obtain the right price for the bike, we will keep it. It probably has more meaning to someone who is a collector or has nostalgia from this era of bicycle like it did for my brother, so I'd rather someone who will cherish it and appreciate it own it.

Thanks for looking! Stay well.

More pictures on our Craigslist ad: https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/d/loveland-1971-schwinn-sting-ray-grey/7366201532.html

IMG_3060.JPG

IMG_3069.JPG

IMG_3052.JPG

Last edited:
Nice looking bike. Someone on here may ask or may not but if you can I would remove the headbadge and take a photo of the area where the headbadge sits, then just put it back on. I know many times on these bikes buyers are looking for authentication. Can you tell if it is a decal on the chainguard or is it screened on.

Nice looking bike. Someone on here may ask or may not but if you can I would remove the headbadge and take a photo of the area where the headbadge sits, then just put it back on. I know many times on these bikes buyers are looking for authentication. Can you tell if it is a decal on the chainguard or is it screened on.
What is supposed to be behind the head badge? I can try to remove it, but would like to know what I’m looking for, if anything.

It sort of looks like it may be a decal on the chain guard. The chain guard is metal and chrome combined and held on by several screws that are dated.

Thanks for the information.

Hey Jason, the reason I said that about the headbadge is to see the silver behind it. To see if the silver is lighter or darker. To just let buyers compare for themselves to see if original paint or not.

What is supposed to be behind the head badge? I can try to remove it, but would like to know what I’m looking for, if anything.

It sort of looks like it may be a decal on the chain guard. The chain guard is metal and chrome combined and held on by several screws that are dated.

Thanks for the information.
There should only be 2 screws on the Chainguard, not "several"

Back