When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here I Go Again...Another Raleigh Sports...

-

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Good thing I wanted to stop buying bikes for a while and make some room. But when I see something like this for $50 I just can't say no...and 45 minutes from my house...could you?? 🙄

Haven't cleaned off the rear hub (to tacky) enough to see a date, but I'm thinking 1974. Missing its original saddle (one on it is from japan) but still wearing its original tires (which I'll need Napalm to get off), It was a good deal. Basket will get tossed, and from what I can see as a quick once over, the paint is in very good condition.
Pedals have hardly any wear to them, and its been hanging in a garage for a very long time, which accounts for some of the rust on the chrome. No biggie.

But those tires...😜 Enjoy the "As Brought Home" photos.

IMG_2683.jpeg

IMG_2684.jpeg

IMG_2685.jpeg

IMG_2686.jpeg

IMG_2687.jpeg

IMG_2688.jpeg

IMG_2689.jpeg

IMG_2690.jpeg

IMG_2691.jpeg

IMG_2692.jpeg

IMG_2693.jpeg

IMG_2694.jpeg

IMG_2695.jpeg

IMG_2696.jpeg

IMG_2697.jpeg

IMG_2698.jpeg

IMG_2699.jpeg

Last edited:
I thought the same until this morning, when this came to my attention: https://www.instagram.com/p/CTK1O4QLCm8/?utm_medium=copy_link

Anything is subject to a failure, and I’ve had a cheap Italian crank actually fail at the cotters - which was noticed before it caused an incident.

I have full confidence in my English bikes still.
@49autocycledeluxe I've never seen an English cottered crank break, but I can only imagine how bad that must have been for you.

Very nice! Tall frame also. You should be pleasantly surprised by how the chrome cleans up. Might almost make up for the battle getting the tires off and the "gum" off the rims. Price was right though!

@49autocycledeluxe I've never seen an English cottered crank break, but I can only imagine how bad that must have been for you.
the crank was most likely Japanese or from Taiwan. it did not break but the pedal arms ended up not being parallel which made it a bit strange to ride. I had not become the ace bike mechanic I am now yet and had no idea how to fix it. I got my mechanical abilities from my Mom, I bet she could have fixed it, but I did not mention it. my Dad could not fix anything.

Very nice! Tall frame also. You should be pleasantly surprised by how the chrome cleans up. Might almost make up for the battle getting the tires off and the "gum" off the rims. Price was right though!

I bought a DL-1 a few years back that appeared to have the chrome peeling off of the rims and handlebars,which it wasn't, but which is why I had gotten a great price on it (it's here on an old CABE Post).
When I was done with it, you could barely tell new from old chrome. Good old NOXON polish and English chrome!! 🙂

Last edited:
Back