When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long term non-chromed protection

-

Coyote

Finally riding a big boys bike
Ok, so on my non-Schwinn bikes, many of the piece parts are steel (?)
but not stainless or chromed. Is there a recommended polish/coating that
can be used to protect them from rust buildup if parked/stored for extended time?
Typical seat post shown. Thanks for any advice!

IMG_1190.jpg

@Coyote I believe those parts are cadmium plated. No shine to them. You can use same bearing grease where that seat post goes into the seat tube to protect it from rust. Maybe a good car wax to protect what is exposed. I have used a Simichrome metal polish on a few cad pieces and they looked quite good.

There aren’t any bare metal parts I’m aware of-chrome, cad, or zinc like Coaster said. If kept inside you shouldn’t have a problem. V/r Shawn

If you d find that there are some bare metal parts that need some kind of protection, Eastwood Co make a bare metal clear, Diamond Clear for Bare Metal; in both satin and gloss.

Paint, … or some kind of silver
I have used Rust-Oleum “Antique Pewter” — a metallic medium-dark gray on non-A&S bikes (what other kind is there?);
and for a seat post, it might be best to know where to draw the paint/no-paint line.

I have found that some Solvents make the plating turn black; and others more bright, (at least temporarily).

Last edited:
For small bits that want sort of a nickel look, I like Testors 1180 flat steel enamel. Apply with a small brush.

Back