When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Not Disclose What You Paid?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I've never had an issue with letting everyone know what I paid for a bike. I'm usually very proud that I managed to get a good or even a great deal on something. Haven't seen much of that here.

Are a lot of you nervous to do this because when you go to sell it, the price is going to be thrown back in your face and people will think you're being greedy? Personally, I put a LOT of time and energy into the bikes I buy, whether I plan to keep them or flip them. I'm not going to sell them for what I paid for them. My time is as valuable as anyone's, and I did the leg work to find and pick up the bike in the first place.

Am I being nuts for letting my buying prices being made public? 😕

I think it’s good to show what was paid because it gives some basis for pricing items in the future. At the same time if I want something I’ll pay what I feel is the best price that I can part with at the time. In general I’m cheap but I’ll pay up if it’s something I really want. People deleting prices things sold for in the classifieds defies what this forum is about LEARNING ! This seems to be something that is being posted about frequently mabe we can do a poll and add in the rules either you can or can’t delete sold ads prices ? I highly doubt the outcome either way would deter people from selling here.

I typically don't disclose and here is why. Example 1. Let's say I pay $400 for a bike and maybe do a few cosmetics and adjustments and I sell it for $650. Example 2. Let's say I come across a very similar bike as in number 1 but I get a real deal on it for $200. I am still going to sell it for $650. If a buyer wants it for $650 it shouldn't matter to them what I paid for it.

You shouldn’t want to know, what I’ve paid for something, because I’ll just set the new high bar.
Those pesky little prewar 37/39 Schwinn brake levers now cost in excess of $1,000 dollars thanks to me.
I needed one, they’re hard to find, so I grabbed the first nice one I could get.
Several other guys had the same idea, so the price went nuts.
Now, the last three of those levers has been sold, well in excess of $1,000 dollars.
So, believe me!
You don’t want to know, what I paid for that.
It really has no bearing on what it will sell for anyway.
That depends on what kind of mood I’m in on the day I decide to sell it.
Usually, I’m in a pretty good mood.
I’ll make you a good deal.😜

I've never had an issue with letting everyone know what I paid for a bike. I'm usually very proud that I managed to get a good or even a great deal on something. Haven't seen much of that here.

Are a lot of you nervous to do this because when you go to sell it, the price is going to be thrown back in your face and people will think you're being greedy? Personally, I put a LOT of time and energy into the bikes I buy, whether I plan to keep them or flip them. I'm not going to sell them for what I paid for them. My time is as valuable as anyone's, and I did the leg work to find and pick up the bike in the first place.

Am I being nuts for letting my buying prices being made public? 😕
Yes it’s about looking greedy.
Speaking in broad general terms and about the different groups at large, everyone wants the image of being just a nice guy dabbling in a hobby.
They’re not concerned with making a profit, this is just a fun hobby, they say.
It certainly is a fun hobby but they’re not fooling anyone with their ”it’s ONLY a hobby for me” stand. They pretend that money doesn’t mean anything to them and it’s only about the “fun”.
If that’s true then this hobby has the most altruistic people in the world, but judging by the rising prices I’m guessing that that’s a lot of hot air.
I never see anything listed below market value in any of the venues i haunt, so they must be hoarders too.
I think it better for all when we’re honest about our intentions and desires.
We all know that you’re not giving away or selling your items below what you paid for them, so just quit with that, it’s about the money to you too.
Knowing what items are selling and for how much is important to those of us who are buying, selling, swapping and trading in this hobby.
YMMV

I've never had an issue with letting everyone know what I paid for a bike.
I'm usually very proud that I managed to get a good or even a great deal on something.
Maybe some people are less proud or did not get a good or great deal; (and not necessarily to do with biblical scriptures about pride, boasting and humility).
Not sure if I am “nervous” - perhaps I am too afraid to find out by selling stuff someday; but that then makes me one of them “hoarders”.
I am not sure about the “greed” part.
Would I be greedy when I exchange money for goods only one way but not the other, or is greed always on the part of the buyer or seller purported to have gotten the better end of a deal as decided by the bicycle pricing czar, (or the greed czar).
Not sure if I am “pretending to dabble” — or maybe I am just not very good at dabbling; (I do not dabble nearly as well as those professional dabblers).
Sometimes when I buy things posted online, the transaction is maintained, at least for a while to be recent and relevant, with some level of buyer anonymity. Perhaps that kind of history and other forums dedicated to the “what’s it worth” topic might make market research available to those interested.

Last edited:
searching for deals and finding them is part of the fun. in the past few months I have found 2 Schwinn B-6's with forebrakes and one with a locking springer. $150.00 and $300.00. it seems people want to get 300 bucks each for these brakes.

anyone who pays $1,000.00 for a brake lever is a moron. I don't care how much money you have. yeah, I'd keep that one a secret

Back