When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old typhoon

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I just picked up an EE stamped frame. Looked on the pinned serial number thread in the Schwinn forum and found that EE was a 1969 stamping. 1969 was the first year for the mag wheel chain ring. Mine came w/o a chainring so I used an older clover one. That’s the only giveaway on my bike. I can’t see your chainring so ………?

The 20" Schwinns still used the lucky 7 chain ring during the mag era.

For the TWO LETTERS serial number as seen beginning in the mid sixties:
* First Letter Tells the MONTH
** Second Letter Tells the YEAR

Second Letter being E = 1969
First Letter being E = MAY because A=Jan, B=Feb, C=March, D=April, E=May, F=June, G=July, H=August,
(THE LETTERS 'eye' AND 'oh' ARE NEVER USED AS THEY LOOK TOO MUCH LIKE one AND zero)
J=September, K=October, L= November, M=December

First Letter= MONTH & SECOND LETTER = YEAR

Second Letter:
B = 1966
C = 1967
D = 1968
E = 1969
----During the 1970 Model Year, the Serial Number moved to below the SCHWINN badge on the headtube.-----------
F = 1970
G = 1971
H = 1972
J = 1973
K = 1974
L = 1975
M = 1976
N = 1977
P = 1978
Q = 1979
R = 1980
AS YOU CAN SEE, Schwinn skipped 'EYE' & 'OH' because it looks too much like ONE & ZERO********

Also, I believe that sometime during 1976, Schwinn also began stamping a very tiny production date code into the oval SCHWINN Headbadge. I have a Sept '76 Collegiate with the code. It may have started in '75 but I seem to remember it beginning in 1976, but I'm often wrong, so I'm not 100% certain.

I just picked up an EE stamped frame. Looked on the pinned serial number thread in the Schwinn forum and found that EE was a 1969 stamping. 1969 was the first year for the mag wheel chain ring. Mine came w/o a chainring so I used an older clover one. That’s the only giveaway on my bike. I can’t see your chainring so ………?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back