When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worthwhile Project?

-

Mike66

Look Ma, No Hands!
Saw this on my local online marketplace. It’s being advertised as “garden art” for $65.

Pondering making it a project. Am needing a men’s bike so I can ride with my honey on her ‘38 Elgin. I’m guessing it’s a Schwinn, but I’m a newbie at identifying make/model/year. I need something to fit a 6 footer. I’m a project hound and not afraid to get into the thick of it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike

BD436347-D85C-4694-9EAF-56E0002B40C1.jpeg

Looks similar to 1980’s huffy good vibrations beach cruiser, except might be an even earlier middle weight version.
Also looks way overpriced, even if one already has a fork straightening tool; (more like a giveaway item).

Last edited:
Since you're not getting too many "in favor" votes, I might suggest posing another question in this forum. Such as "What are some classic bike options for the taller rider?" Comfort is awfully important on any bike.

That bike will take work but if you enjoy tinkering on them it could be a fun project. It as it sits, isnt worth much ($65 is a stretch) but is fixable but never will be worth the asking price.

Don't waste your money on junk. I was in a thrift store this morning and someone had just brought in an old Raleigh [ I might have misspelled that] It had the Sturmney Archer 3 speed on it. I don't like English Racers, but this bike looked to be 1970's or older and was in excellent condition. No rust, no dents. Medium green paint was perfect. Great bike for a tall guy, and for 50 bucks. Get the most for your money, buy something you can at least ride home. Do some shopping. I'm actually thinking of buying that Raliegh. It had a metal head badge on it. Anyone here know how to date them things?

You probably won’t find a vintage balloon bicycle built for a tall person. 26” frames are pretty much the same size. A long seat post and either a long handlebar stem or ape hanger handle bars are about as much as you can do. Some of the light weight bikes come in different frame sizes, measured from the crank bracket to the top of the seat tube.

Back