When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

38-39 Hiawatha Arrow Help Please!

-
What's a Ford kit car doing in with a bunch of Pontiacs? LOL I've had the arrow nice bicycle. The seat and gaurd is going to cost you a fortune the chain guard is specific to a mens bicycle. The pedals are going to cost you a fortune too.. those handle bars are super rare... luckily you got the bike at a cheap price so it's not going to cost you too much but you are probably looking at about three or four grand just to get it back together not including restoring it if you go that route which you probably will because there's no way your going to match the front fender and gaurd... I too am a pontiac man mostly Firebird though.. here's a pic of my legit 71 Trans Am I'm restoring right now. I'm doing a complete frame-off restoration on this one

20211004_170549.jpg

20211004_170632.jpg

20211004_170643.jpg

Last edited:
Wow what an awesome reception! Thanks everyone 👍

I’ll post some more car stuff as we go along 😉

I’m leaning towards a full restoration mainly because as mrg said I think it’s going to be damn near impossible to get the missing components that would match in a tasteful manner… Plus there is actually very little paint left. They are indeed only original once. I have a few cars that are survivors that I force myself not to tear into because they are just so cool the way they are and basically living history the way I see it. There just comes a point when they are better off going the other direction.

SKPC, I questioned the headset and front fork also. The forks I have seen pics of have a bit of a change in there curve part way down where mine carry the same curve all the way down. Anyone have any insight on this? “Alu stem”? It is steel and I think it is correct I’ll post some pics of it out. You lost me there at the end, “Seller beware. I will also add your example, a solid representative, to the Shelby Prewar Serial Number list” who is the seller and beware of??? Also can you tell exactly what year she is and where can I find the list?

Freqman, the straight down tube has me a little perplexed also… anyone have any insight on this? I will definitely be putting the Torrington streamline pedals back on her so I’m on the lookout for them. Holly crap are all of those Shelby big tanks yours? AWSOME!!! We could just borrow a part here and there and I would be done 😁

Blasterracing, Gorgeous bikes you did up👍👍👍

Redline1968, hello fellow Pontiac brother! Love the 71 looking for one myself. Year I was born👍. What is different about the girls chain guard? The mounting bracket to the down tube I assume? Also are they different between the curved and straight down tube? Ya I’m happy about the bars! They are a little crusty and will need to be re-chromed but they are nice!

So I have a list of things I’m looking for and ready to pull the trigger on. Should I post them here or in the wanted section or both? If anyone has anything I’m looking for please give me a shout!

Here are some more pics from tinkering this AM.

E99CED9F-AC4C-4808-8244-9FA7BE492FCC.jpeg

DDF2C6EB-7FBA-40B9-AD19-C7422DD756E4.jpeg

3091E735-8B7B-43F4-846E-1FDBD5E6987C.jpeg

84C08092-F521-4E1D-A36E-1512A8403A12.jpeg

D697BC81-2821-47A8-9B32-8CE997BAC34B.jpeg

FC75A3E6-1A9E-4017-9F93-B30868DC3BF9.jpeg

47721EC0-B863-4FF9-A6FF-0C462B71E1D8.jpeg

8632C655-334A-4AB2-816C-E57FC316900F.jpeg

23A6FC17-1D59-4D26-A007-B5A172175003.jpeg

5753F63E-F274-4D80-A331-957022B664C7.jpeg

2B207455-6850-45F0-BDD2-4E5823DA5CDA.jpeg

I think you may be surprised at how much original paint is hanging in there. Light cleaning with 0000 steel wool and WD-40 would do wonders. And possibly an oxalic acid bath. You can always blast it after if it's not what you're looking for. Most folks on here would kill for that amount of original paint.

@GTOShon
The buyer is you and the SELLERS are the boys that you mentioned that let it go for cheap after you pestered them forever! Did not do their homework. This is how you learn lessons, or maybe not? Lower headset race has also been replaced with something different along with the fork. Shelby list below.

Last edited:
Great score on one of my grail bikes! Congrats!

I'm not an expert but from what I understand the Gambles Hiawatha badged bikes normally had curved down tubes while the Shelby bikes were straight. I am not opposed to being corrected however.

Really digging the D100(?) as well.

Can't wait to see where you go with your new toy! 👍

Great score on one of my grail bikes! Congrats!

I'm not an expert but from what I understand the Gambles Hiawatha badged bikes normally had curved down tubes while the Shelby bikes were straight. I am not opposed to being corrected however.

Really digging the D100(?) as well.

Can't wait to see where you go with your new toy! 👍
That has always been the rumor but there has been at least one other example of Hiawatha badged straight bar bike posted over the years...so unusual yes, not the rule...

I’ll post some progress probably tomorrow. Been caught up in trying to get authorized to PM on here in another thread and looking around and the AWSOME diversity round here. Some truly epic bikes, history, and people!!! In the meantime I guess I’ll share a few car pics.

BTW - Thought someone might connect the dots and comment on the background I chose to take the photos I posted. But I guess ya all were focusing on the bike AND OR the cars 🤔 not both…
Riddle me that. 😉

Back