When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BAD NEWS: My Twisted Take on a Western Flyer Newsboy Special

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The master link on my chain broke yesterday, so I decided to use that as an excuse to start mocking up parts on this bike. First thing I tried was removing the fenders and mounting a flipped rat trap springer fork onto the bike. I couldn't get the little front rack thing off, as the bolt is too long to pull out without removing the spring assembly from the fork, so I just left it on. I was hoping I'd like this more than I do, but it just looks weird to me.
View attachment 1484308
View attachment 1484309
View attachment 1484310
View attachment 1484311
View attachment 1484312
View attachment 1484313

Next, I tried mounting my Monark springer fork to the bike. It's got potential, but I'm still not sure...
View attachment 1484314
View attachment 1484315
View attachment 1484316
View attachment 1484317
View attachment 1484318
View attachment 1484319
View attachment 1484320
View attachment 1484321

I put the rear fender back on, which made the space between the fender and the seat tube match the space between the front tire and the down tube. It's not bad, but I still don't quite know what I want here. I'll have to keep tinkering with it.
View attachment 1484322
View attachment 1484323
View attachment 1484324
View attachment 1484325
View attachment 1484326
View attachment 1484327
Looks good so far.. Did ya run out of chain masters?? Yuck.. Yucck.. YUCCK!!!

Nice SCORE Austin... Great bike for a really great price.. I bought one of those reflecters for my Rambler.. Just love the looks of this old Columbia.. Congrats!!! RideOn.. Razin..
Thanks! It's the most I've spent on a single bike, but given that it's one I've wanted for while now, I think it was worth it.
He said YOKE!!! HA!! HAAA!!
Is it not called a yoke? What is that part called?
Looks good so far.. Did ya run out of chain masters?? Yuck.. Yucck.. YUCCK!!!
Thank you! Yeah, I don't have a lot of chain to work with. I just buy what I need at the time.

Thanks! It's the most I've spent on a single bike, but given that it's one I've wanted for while now, I think it was worth it.

Is it not called a yoke? What is that part called?

Thank you! Yeah, I don't have a lot of chain to work with. I just buy what I need at the time.
I buy it by the foot, it's cheaper that way...

I've been lightly tinkering with Bad News over the past few days, testing out a few suggested ideas here and there. I mocked up these baskets I had in storage, but they just busied up the look of the bike.
20211013_171643-jpg.jpg

I just got some washers and nuts this evening to try and adjust the springer fork so the straight bars point right at the front axle, and keep the fork from compressing too much while riding. I found a spare master link for my chain, so I slapped that back on so I could test ride the bike.
20211017_202926-jpg.jpg

20211017_203001-jpg.jpg

What followed next was an absolute disaster. I just tried to pedal in a straight line down the driveway, but I could not for the life of me get this bike under control! I don't blame it on the bike, so much as I blame it on me. I have almost no experience riding lowrider bikes, which this bike is kind of built like. I'm used to steering with the handlebars, not... however I'm supposed to operate this contraption. And before anyone says anything, no, I don't really know how to ride a motorcycle either, so any knowledge on riding one of those won't help me figure out how to ride this.

Can anyone help me figure out how to ride this bike? I'd hate to go back to a stock-ish fork setup after coming up with this wild design, but I'd like to be able to ride this bike, even if it's just for short distances.

Ya gots tah go really fast to control something like that with just a lean turning a corner. No way to go slow mo that I know of. 😂

I'll pile on this mess. These types of bicycles you are supposed sit on not moving while giving it your best gangster look! You aren't supposed to ride it to begin with Mr. BikeuntilDead!

Back