When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Hawthorne

-

Tankbike59

'Lil Knee Scuffer
1634840096451.png

Was wondering if someone could tell me the year of this Wards Hawthorne. Found it several years ago on garbage night along with a girls JC Higgins and another boys(24inch) Wards Hawthorne with a double top bar(maybe 1960's?) Started to clean it up a bit with Scotchbrite and WD40 but have not finished it. I added the headlight(not correct, I'm sure) Can't find a serial number on the bottom bracket. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like a post war Snyder built, with date place code on the bottom bracket crank hanger and serial numbers on the seat tube stamped in the typical manner.

Should be a letter followed by six digits

Last edited:
Still see nothing on the bottom bracket but serial number on seat tube reads 56253. Is the number on the bottom of the bottom bracket? All I can see is a weld across the bottom. Does the rack and chainguard appear to be original? I thought maybe aftermarket from a long time ago. Thanks again.
1634846946061.png
1634846971361.png

If I remember correctly, that style badge was only used in 48/49. Turn the bike upside down and look at the bottom bracket...you will probably see somrthing like 48EH stamped there.(1948)

OK thanks. I will have to take a harder look over the weekend, I was looking for a longer number. Maybe just did not see it even after wiping the crud away. That bike got put on the back burner. Just happened to be moving things around today. I have a lot of projects, slowly working on one at a time.

Back