When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major Taylor Museum pics

-

Major Taylor Archive

I live for the CABE
The museum is located in the old Worcester courthouse. They did a great job, it's a really nice space and the exhibits are awesome. Some are interactive. There are a few artifacts on display as well as a Durkopp track bike that was thought to be Taylor's. I provided them with a bunch of scans of my postcard collection. They blew them up and displayed them in the small conference room there.

I also met Major Taylor's great granddaughter Karen Donovan and author Todd Balf who wrote the book Major : A Black Athlete, a White Era, and the Fight to Be the World's Fastest Human Being. They were awesome. It was a great experience and I felt fortunate to be part of it. If you're ever near Worcester you should definitely visit.

The last pic of the Major Taylor statue is at the Worcester Public Library. It's less than a mile away from the museum.

Are the pics you show here the entire exhibit? It would be great if they had on display some of the bikes from his career. I don't know of anyone though who has actually put together a timeline of his bikes - Comet - Stearns - Orient - Iver Johnson, Labor and many others ( is it only 1 bike though actually on display?? ). Great pics!

Are the pics you show here the entire exhibit? It would be great if they had on display some of the bikes from his career. I don't know of anyone though who has actually put together a timeline of his bikes - Comet - Stearns - Orient - Iver Johnson, Labor and many others ( is it only 1 bike though actually on display?? ). Great pics!
Bill-The pics aren't great at capturing the space. It's fairly large with a very high ceiling. The displays are set-up well and there's a nice flow to it. My postcard scans are in a small conference room off the main floor. The bike was loaned by the Worcester Historical Society. It was given to someone in town by Taylor, or so the story goes. It's certainly possible given that he raced in Germany. The provenance is shaky at best but at least it's from the correct period.

I don't want to speak for the museum but I believe the main purpose of the exhibit is to keep MT's legacy alive in the city he lived in for half his life and to celebrate a legend. I think they succeeded. It's the type of place that appeals to anyone from casual tourist to hard core bike nerd.

Cool. I recently saw this story and video on Major Taylor 6 day race.

Back