When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Araya made S-7 rims

-

coasterbrakejunkie1969

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I picked up a Columbia bike with these 20 inch Araya rims that are marked S-7. I was read something about them awhile ago but could not find the thread. Anyone know what was the deal and why they would be making Schwinn rims? They are nice rims I thought it more odd they were on a Columbia.

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

I've seen those a few times and have never figured out why they exist. Are the tires marked in fraction or decimal? Or say made for Schwinn S-7? Never had one so I don't know if they're made to the real S-7 spec's or take anything but the S-7 tire.

I've seen those a few times and have never figured out why they exist. Are the tires marked in fraction or decimal? Or say made for Schwinn S-7? Never had one so I don't know if they're made to the real S-7 spec's or take anything but the S-7 tire.
The tires are marked S-7 they would fit Schwinn S-7 rim. I have a set if S-2 size Araya in 26 inch but not marked S-2

Something looks funny with the spokes. They look bowed or bent and look where the valve stem comes out its between the crossed spokes not the straight ones.
I have one 26" araya steel wheel, I'll have to look if its stamped and what tire is on it.

Something looks funny with the spokes. They look bowed or bent and look where the valve stem comes out its between the crossed spokes not the straight ones.
I have one 26" araya steel wheel, I'll have to look if its stamped and what tire is on it.
I believe the hub was rotated the wrong direction when being laced causing valve to be in wrong position. I have run into this when lacing my own wheels.

A little digression at least valve not in the tiny wedge, gives less nozzle room when airing up tire especially on little kids wheel. Maybe worker a trainee or not pay attention when lacing. Here some valve in wedge adult bikes.

A little digression at least valve not in the tiny wedge, gives less nozzle room when airing up tire especially on little kids wheel. Maybe worker a trainee or not pay attention when lacing. Here some valve in wedge adult bikes.
View attachment 1509404

View attachment 1509405

View attachment 1509406

View attachment 1509407

Oh I've been there. The first wheel I laced was on a sting ray. Dont remember how many spokes but remember just starting at a random spot. Got it together patted myself on the back... thought that was easy. Then put the tire on and aired it up. And there was the problem. It was a pain in the tail to air up, the spokes were right on the stem. I was a kid and your bike was your way around. My bike was down for a couple days doing this and I wasn't about to take it apart. So it stayed that way lol.

Later figured out start at the stem hole and work your way around. Its easy now. Even if I havent done one in a while I can pick it up pretty quick.

Vista bikes used the odd 1-3/4 rims as well. I believe these came from the same factory as Columbias. I've seen them on several Torinos. Why they did this, I don't know. I have seen 20 x 1-3/4 Vista branded tires too...

Back