When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bendix brake question.

-

ian

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
In Memoriam
I have a Bendix brake to rebuild and haven't seen one like it before. It was on a 50's SK ballooner that I just got. Are there any things i need to be aware of? The hub is laced with 11 ga spokes so I'm thinking it's heavy duty. Thoughts?

20211115_183047.jpg

I have a Bendix brake to rebuild and haven't seen one like it before. It was on a 50's SK ballooner that I just got. Are there any things i need to be aware of? The hub is laced with 11 ga spokes so I'm thinking it's heavy duty. Thoughts?

View attachment 1512912
Nothing special about them. It is an early smooth Bendix? It is the predecessor to the red band. Need pic of spokes and hub. Good luck

Reactions: ian
Scuff the inside of the hub to break any glazing before reassembly. I use a brake cylinder hone in a drill but emery paper works just as well. From th photo it looks like all parts are good.
Yep! All the earwax came off okay and the bearings seem to be usable. I just hadn't seen one with the metal bars inside. I'll be relacing it to the original hub and getting-er-done.

I've taken a few of these with the metal bars apart. They make it easy to keep the brake shoes in place while sticking everything back into the hub.

Reactions: ian
I've taken a few of these with the metal bars apart. They make it easy to keep the brake shoes in place while sticking everything back into the hub.
yeppers. I noticed that too. I got-er-done this morning. Now I just need to find some 11ga spokes........

Back