When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Murray Kmart All Pro 3-Speed

-

kostnerave

Finally riding a big boys bike
Here are some pictures of my latest acquisition, a Kmart All Pro "lightweight" 3 -speed bicycle, manufactured by Murray. Using the Murray Serial Number Project information, available here, I was able to date the bike to 1972. I recently attended a bike show put on by some great people, in Hurst, Texas, vowing not to buy any more bicycles. So, twenty five steps into the vendor area, I spot the All Pro and buy it! Being a lightweight Schwinn collector, this bike was a little out of my wheelhouse, but I was immediately overcome with a sense of nostalgia for it. The decals, the Flamboyant Green paint, the three speed grip shifter and the goofy frame reflectors won me over. The bike was covered in a layer of dirt, grease and light surface rust here and there, but I knew it would clean up nicely. I overhauled everything, detailed it and installed new tires, tubes, brake shoes and new brake cables inside the original housing. The wheels were factory laced "wrong", so I relaced the wheels with the original spokes and new DT spoke nipples. I know it's not a very valuable or sought after bike, but it holds a place of honor in my collection. The serial number is stamped vertically on the left side of the head tube. It's : M26442X12615140 Please enjoy the pictures. Thanks

Kmart Murray 002.JPG

Kmart Murray 003.JPG

Kmart Murray 005.JPG

Kmart Murray 006.JPG

Kmart Murray 007.JPG

Kmart Murray 008.JPG

Kmart Murray 010.JPG

Kmart Murray 013.JPG

Kmart Murray 015.JPG

Kmart Murray 016.JPG

Kmart Murray 017.JPG

Kmart Murray 018.JPG

Kmart Murray 021.JPG

-----

Beautiful job; thank you for sharing it.

Colour caught me eye as usually think of yellow for the 1972 KMART All-Pro bicycles.

Are you able to read the marking on the brake calipers?

They also had several models produced by Chiorda of Italy at this time.

-----

Last edited:
-----

Beautiful job; thank you for sharing it.

Colour caught me eye as usually think of yellow for the 1972 KMART All-Pro bicycles.

Are you able to read the marking on the brake calipers?

They also had several models produced by Chiorda of Italy at this time.

-----
Juvela, The calipers are flat, stamped steel and have the letters SAC in a diamond shape stamped on them. Most of the components that aren't U.S. manufacture, appear to be early Japanese made, including the original Izumi chain.

fantastic job! That is a beautiful color! Paint and chrome really shine!
shimano 123 hub? Trying to make out the rim mfg? do you know what is the manufacturing method of the frame ?

fantastic job! That is a beautiful color! Paint and chrome really shine!
shimano 123 hub? Trying to make out the rim mfg? do you know what is the manufacturing method of the frame ?
Murray of Ohio manufactured this bike. They used straight guage steel tubing, internally brazed which was an economical way to make a frame. The rear hub is a Shimano 333 unit which uses a plunger rod to select gearing. The rims are chrome plated steel, also a Murray made item. They are stamped EA3 M.O. Mfg., with EA3 designating the compatible tire size. The paint color is called Flamboyant Green, which was a factor in my decision to purchase this one. My pictures don't do the color justice! Thanks for the interest, slowride. By the way, if you noticed, Detroit, Mi. is printed on the downtube decal, as that was home base for S.S. Kresge, owner of Kmart at the time this bike was made. Cheers.

-----

rim marking shown in this image

can make out "M.O. MFG. CO." the marking before that looks something like E A 3

1637456038473.png

readers with younger eyes than mine are sure to be able to make it out... 😉

---

note how the brake bridge is done. a design to "...accommodate calipers of all reaches..."

1637456320807.png

EDIT -

@kosternave -

did not intend to step on your post. you posted whilst i was "composing" 😄
-----

Back