When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Bike Haul, Looking for some Information

-
Ah makes sense. So old blue is looking like a 1951 Schwinn with some Western Flyer accessories then.

Thanks for the picture! You’re right, that dropout is definitely different, but the number matches up and the rest of it does look really similar minus the tank, rack, and springers. I’ll post it onto that Murray thread and see what comes back.

Notice the number of digits on your bike and the number on the info Rivnut posted. You're missing a digit, so the umpire called a foul in left field. 😜

Hmm.. All my Huffman badges measure about 2 1/4". The closest measurement I have in the Huffman family is a Huffy badge that measures 3 1/4".
Huh… that’s weird. Another mystery I guess. I’m hoping something will pop out when I start in on it, but nothing yet

Man… I had it all nice and figured out in my head and you threw a wrench in it 😂

I'm still thinking that Schwinn is an early post war piece. I've been researching the evolution of Schwinn's electro-forging of their frames and that brings me out of the war time pieces and into the period when Schwinn started building retail balloon frames during 1945. Your serial number series H12345 was used in 1941. It's said and is fact that the prewar numbers were also used in 1946 along with the A and B series. The fact that nobody has seemed to take into account is that Schwinn was producing bikes for retail sales in 1945. These first post war models built in 1945 and some even say 44, were the first to have the chain stays EF'd to the BB shell and that process was a learning period for Schwinn. I've also noted there are two kickstand tube angles on these early post war pieces. Yours has the earliest version, but since that is a 24" frame that may be irrelevant. I doubt the crank has a casting date on it, but it's worth a shot taking a look and see if there is.

Check out this thread.

Back