When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold 1948 Men's Monark-built Speigel Airman

-
Price
Now $695 plus actual shipping
Zipcode

lgrinnings

I live for the CABE
While I love this bicycle, I need to start selling some of the outliers in my collection. To start, this Monark-built Speigal Airman appears to complete and original (down to the tires) with original paint (no touch-ups). The paint seems to have started life as a maroon color, but has mellowed to a terra-cotta brown that really pops with the contrasting cream. There are a couple spots of paint loss that you can see on the right side of the tank. I would imagine they'd be easy to touch-up if that's your thing, but I haven't messed with anything. In fact, this bicycle is exactly as I purchased it. I've made no attempt at rust removal where present on the rims. This bicycle will benefit greatly from a basic cleaning. The chrome is pretty nice throughout with some light peppering in places. The shock-absorbing double-spring cushion front fork assures a smooth, floating ride (as the old advertisements will tell you). This bike also features Monark's airline style pedal crank. The right arm appears to have been tweaked out a hair to improve the chainstay clearance. Tires will likely need to be replaced for any regular riding. The saddle is a nice bell cup Troxel with wear tabs and no rips. The early-style chrome top-load Delta headlight functions perfectly as does the tank-mounted horn unit (nice and loud... video of both available upon request). Obviously, the Super Deluxes command a pretty hefty price tag. Here's your opportunity to grab some iconic Monark style at a great price. $745 NOW $695 plus actual shipping cost in the US. Payment via PayPal family and friends is preferred.

Please review pictures closely and message me if interested or with questions.

-Lester

P.S. Check out my other listings by clicking here: https://thecabe.com/forum/index/sell-trade-bicycle-parts-accessories-ephemera.4/?starter_id=9157

Last edited:
Yes, basically a Monark Rocket, made for sale for Spiegel. Great bike, good price! I do question rear reflector though.
I have a 1948 ladies Monark-built Firestone Pilot with the same reflector. Prior to owning this Airman, I questioned the Firestone reflector, but where they both have them, it appears to be standard for 1947-48 non-Monark badged bicycles (Speigel, Firestone, etc.).

Back