When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to start a GoFundMe to save the original Wright Brothers bicycle shop -slated for demo

-
I thought the original bike shop was at the Ford Museum-Greenfield Village...
I've been there and have been in it. According to the curator it is the Wrights original shop. He told me that Henry Ford 1st. meticulously had every board numbered, saved every brick and rebuilt the shop in Greenfield Village exactly as original.

I thought the original bike shop was at the Ford Museum-Greenfield Village...
The Wright's SIXTH shop is located at Greenfield Village folks! It is amazing how many people keep affirming this falsity on the forum. Their first shop was a single story wood structure that was demolished in the 19th century to build the brick structure now slated for demo!

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 3.24.15 PM.png

There’s an interesting story about how the original Harley-Davidson shed was destroyed.
Harley-Davidson had saved their original shop, which pretty much amounted to a one room shed.
It had been saved for generations, and ultimately sat out in the parking lot of the Juneau Ave. facility.
Then one day while cleaning up around the place, a security guard made the call, to demolish the tired old shed out on the back forty, and get rid of it.
I can just hear the boss blowing his stack, when he found out what happed.
YOU’RE FIRED!
Doesn’t even begin to describe the haranguing that idiot probably received. Lol!
I’m sure I’ve butchered the telling of that story, but you get the general idea.

Last edited:
Okay, so the curator of Wright's shop was wrong to give me impression it was the Wright's original shop. I should have read the brochure for myself. At least Ford saved it, and even back then, it had to cost a bundle. Nobody, including the Wright brothers themselves cared. If I owned the place being talked about now, I wouldn't lose a winks sleep about tearing it down. As a retired builder of 45 years, I can't tell folks of how many beautiful farms and country estates I've seen bulldozed for housing developments in DuPage County , Ill. I spent the last 23 years of my career working in three old Chicago suburbs: Glen Ellyn, Elmhurst, Hinsdale. All up-scale housing, with no blighted areas. No vacant lots, either. Good part of the homes were built at the turn of the century or before. To build a new residence, an existing one had to be removed. Always residents vilifying the builders , especially when we'd be knocking over the1800's homes, to replace with a modern monstrosity. That's progress, it's just the way it is. If CABE members are concerned this building should be saved, do what Bob U. suggests. Cough up the $$$$ to buy it, otherwise, viva Walgreens!

A lot of times these old buildings and dwellings are ripe with wonderful
materials like lead and asbestos. Often times the cost of the legal abatement
of these elements far outweighs the quick and rather painless solution of
razing and payloading the remains into a hauler. Old electrical, plumbing...
It's sad, but true. Renovations aren't cheap. Don't get me wrong here, I love
a grand old building or house. Nothing else like them, ever.

We don’t have to worry about historic old buildings and things out here in California.
If it gets to be 50 or 60 years old, it’s gone!
Out with old and in with the new.
We’re in a constant flux of trying to reinvent ourselves.
Now, the trend, is that the single family dwelling is a waste of precious real estate, so move over Mr. Cleaver, because high density multi unit housing is the way of the future.
As with most trends that start in California, look for it to come to a residential lot near you.

That same development has been creeping its way East here on Long Island from
New York City since before I was born in the '60s. Where I grew up in the middle
of the island, I worked on farms. The developers consumed most of those. And now,
as cyclingday says, high density multi units are rearing their ugly heads above the
tree line. We've managed to destroy the aquifer and high-volume traffic is nearly
constant. Some folks call it progress. It was rather eerie during the height of the
lock-down and there was no traffic at all. Standing outside with my kids, I told them,
"Do you hear that? That nothingness and quiet? That's what it was like growing up
here back in the day. Quiet. Yeah, we gotta get outta here. The sooner the better."
Sadly, I'll wind up somewhere that the people are going to look at me with the same
disdain I have now for the development I've experienced here. Vicious cycle I suppose.

Sorry, I think about this stuff a lot lately.

We don’t have to worry about historic old buildings and things out here in California.
If it gets to be 50 or 60 years old, it’s gone!
Out with old and in with the new.
We’re in a constant flux of trying to reinvent ourselves.
Now, the trend, is that the single family dwelling is a waste of precious real estate, so move over Mr. Cleaver, because high density multi unit housing is the way of the future.
As with most trends that start in California, look for it to come to a residential lot near you.
You are right. And it is coming here. Investment Companies move from city to city. It's Memphis's turn now.
No, I don't like it! Progress? I'm sick of Developers overusing that word. It's nothing more than greed.
Not looking for a debate, just stating my personal opinion.

So, it was the Wright bros' first aero-plane shop?

Maybe that is why Ford saved it, and not to do with bikes (or ice cream).

Not much discussion on saving "Bob's" bike shop; (but Bob didn't invent the aero-plane).

Yeah, out here, the morons think the cure to the rampant homeless problem is more high density housing.
Not one of those basket cases living on the street, will be placed in any of that brand new housing.
Those units will only be, “ affordable” once,
( and I use that word loosely) and then it will be flip city, with each successive investor, lining their bank account flush with cash.
The only thing they are accomplishing, besides creating their own personal wealth, is that absolute destruction of any semblance of quality of life.
The most recent debacle out here, is the pending destruction of the Tejon Ranch.
They’ve just approved a 25,000 unit housing development out in the boondocks between Los Angeles and Bakersfield.
They’re all proud of themselves, because they’re touting it as a net 0 green concept development.
What a F’ing joke that is.
Put people about as far away from the urban center, as possible, then install a charging system for the electric car, and call it green.

Back