When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1949 Shelby Donald Duck 20" Original Girls Bike - repaint it or not?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

indycycling

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Good Afternoon
New to me, a nice original 49 Shelby Donald Duck girls 20". Purchased from a DD collector who bought this at auction decades ago. Best I can tell it's all original except the tires. I've sent the original tan Troxel seat off for restoration.

I've torn it down and planned on cleaning, polishing, and regreasing everything, then putting it back together. Thanks to Fed Ex, the rear fender was crushed by a forklift piercing the box and I now planned on sending the fender off to a friend to roll it out and repaint it. While at it, was going to have him respray the rack since it has a good amount of paint loss and surfact rest. Rest of the bike is nice original paint and I've got a pair of tank decals from Memory Lane to apply.

As I see some other DD's posted here I'm really contemplating having my friend repaint the whole bike - what do you think?

I'm a Schwinn Stingray guy and nice original bikes have been my preference, but I do have a number of really nice repainted/restored ones.

What would you guys do here? And would an original one like mine with the patina be valued more than a repainted bike? I"m going to clean up the frame, fenders, and rack today, soak pedals and small parts in Evaporust, and polish all the chrome. Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Original paint will always be better and if you have it repainted you might as well do cad and chrome while your at it. Not sure what you have in it now but paint, stripes, chrome, and cad is probably going to be about $1500 at which point you have a very expensive girls bike. I’d roll the fender and call it a day. V/r Shawn

Original paint will always be better and if you have it repainted you might as well do cad and chrome while your at it. Not sure what you have in it now but paint, stripes, chrome, and cad is probably going to be about $1500 at which point you have a very expensive girls bike. I’d roll the fender and call it a day. V/r Shawn
thanks, I just reformed the fender and will detail the whole bike. I just have admired how nice your restoration looks.

Keep the original paint please! Maybe try to find a better condition original rear rack and rear fender. Or as Shawn said, have the rear fender rolled; then maybe have just some of the yellow and rear white strips touched up on that fender. The rest of the bike looks great!

Last edited:
Back