When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barn-Find 1952 Schwinn Hornet value?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
a piece of denim and turtle wax buffing compound goes a long way cleaning paint. stay off the pins/decals tho.

156F8AD5-6D54-43F3-A807-F32218DCD257.jpeg

My opinion(s)? You've got it, so build it as you wish. It's got lovely patina (which I'd retain), but if you've got other plans for it, where's the harm? More complete examples remain, and will dwindle in value. Also, you take lovely photographs.
Thank you for your input. Yeah, there are are better examples of this bike out there, but that patina just feels too nice. I'm not in any rush to work on this bike just yet, so I have plenty of time to figure out what I want to do with it. Thank you!

a piece of denim and turtle wax buffing compound goes a long way cleaning paint. stay off the pins/decals tho.

View attachment 1535517
That's pretty impressive! I've used some rubbing compound on a bike before, and it really helped bring some color back to it.

I've also seen what happens when you don't avoid the graphics/pinstripes on a Schwinn. Schwinn knew how to make durable bikes, but not durable accent paint, apparently.

Okay, I've received a lot of valuable input about whether I should customize this bike or not, but something I'd appreciate your help on, as it's a key factor in whether I keep and customize this bike or not, is what my Schwinn is worth. I'm not ruling out the possibility of selling or trading this bike, especially if I can replace it with a guilt-free canvas, so based on what I have and what I don't have, how much would you say this bike is worth?

Heed your feelings of pending guilt on this original paint bike. There's plenty of other straightbars out there that would welcome a new coat of paint. I'm sure simply by posting this, you'll be finding that out rather quickly.
I've already had a couple folks inquiring about this Schwinn and doing some trading. If I could get a realistic idea of what this bike is worth, that could help me determine what I could either sell it or trade it for. I really want another Schwinn straight bar to customize, but that doesn't mean I'm opposed to trading for other bikes. I've got quite a few bikes on my wishlist as it is.

Back