When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1949 Shelby Donald Duck 20" Original Girls Bike - repaint it or not?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I think everyone knows my opinions on the matter at this point haha.....but I would never repaint that bike, maybe straighten and blend the bent fender end or just straighten and leave the paint alone and just let it be part of the story.
Perfection is overrated and originality is only there once, even if its not purdy and sparkly. History rarely is....
Especially considering the rarity of that model of bike alone....original examples some day will command the most.

original examples some day will command the most.
That day has been here awhile! Not only for DDs but most everything else as well. I've seen the values of the DDs fluctuate over the years and if you get them in the right auction they do pretty well--this is where a restored bike might do better than an original. These are crossover bikes and as you saw in the Pawn Stars episode the guy was a Disney collector, not a bicycle collector. V/r Shawn

That day has been here awhile! Not only for DDs but most everything else as well. I've seen the values of the DDs fluctuate over the years and if you get them in the right auction they do pretty well--this is where a restored bike might do better than an original. These are crossover bikes and as you saw in the Pawn Stars episode the guy was a Disney collector, not a bicycle collector. V/r Shawn
I can definitely honor your point on this bike being a cross-over interest in regards to the value. I know original patina probably is less than exciting to a Disney collector where a bike collector might think differently. The Disney-head market is probably where your top dollar is gonna be made too because while bicycle collectors remain heavy in the US, the Disney market is huge everywhere from Japan to the UK....

The Donald Duck bikes were only advertised as '49, but I have had a couple of originals that have '50 tags on the frame. Shelby was notorious for not sticking to the original plans for any of their bikes, and former employees that I have spoken with over the years have said they would pretty much make anything they were told to and if parts weren't available, they would look around to find something that fit to finish a job.
Thanks for chiming in here, good to know this for sure, especially with your Shelby background and collection.

From the Schwinn experts I know, unlike Shelby, once they were done with a model, it was over. For example the Krate ran from late '67 for introduction in the '68 model year and ended during the '73 model year. There were no others made after late '73, however, they continued selling all the parts over the counter and a warranty frame would bear a later serial number as well. So I'm sure there are some Krates out there dated '74 and beyond, but never factory made.

Thanks for chiming in here, good to know this for sure, especially with your Shelby background and collection.

From the Schwinn experts I know, unlike Shelby, once they were done with a model, it was over. For example the Krate ran from late '67 for introduction in the '68 model year and ended during the '73 model year. There were no others made after late '73, however, they continued selling all the parts over the counter and a warranty frame would bear a later serial number as well. So I'm sure there are some Krates out there dated '74 and beyond, but never factory made.
I can only go by what past Shelby Bicycle employees have told me over the years. I'm 55, born, raised and still live in Shelby. I never claim to know it all. I just pass on what I have heard or seen. Shelby was not the best run company, so a lot of hit and miss things happened, making it hard to pin things down for sure. Just like the serial numbers on the frames. Many people have tried, including myself to make sense of the numbers and letters used, but once you think you have it figured out a bike shows up that isn't even close to what you expected.

I can only go by what past Shelby Bicycle employees have told me over the years. I'm 55, born, raised and still live in Shelby. I never claim to know it all. I just pass on what I have heard or seen. Shelby was not the best run company, so a lot of hit and miss things happened, making it hard to pin things down for sure. Just like the serial numbers on the frames. Many people have tried, including myself to make sense of the numbers and letters used, but once you think you have it figured out a bike shows up that isn't even close to what you expected.
Thanks Tim, I believe your intel is very credible and I now feel like there were some built into '50, not just a one year '49 offering. Thanks for clarifying all of that for us.

Ad artwork

Screenshot_20211230-181305_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20211230-181326_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20211230-181243_Facebook.jpg

Back