When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mertens Track bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jake1

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have had this bike and am putting it together for the upcoming season so I can give it a whirl on New Hampshire's velodrome track. It has been posted elsewhere so you may have seen the photos. I don't know much about it (actual year-40s-50s?; or builder-Mertens may not have made it). Parts seem to be 50s or earlier. Bayliss Wiley hubs and bottom bracket, Titan post, Weinmann rims with wood insert, Ideale saddle, Lyotard pedals (photo shows new pedals, originals had one bent axle ), unknown cogs and bar/stem. 1537153

Last edited:
-----

an earlier discussion on this fellow abideth here -

-----

Built up that should make a great little bike for having fun on the track.
Do check that they'll let you use everything if it's a wooden track, sometimes they can be a little wary of old stuff on a modern velodrome.
That track has an asphalt surface. I didn't think that it would matter (I'd be riding on modern tires), but thanks for the heads up. I will contact them to ensure there is not an issue.

Last edited:
That track is an asphalt surface. I didn't think that it would matter (I'd be riding on modern tires), but thanks for the heads up. I will contact them to ensure there is not an issue.
You shouldn't have any problems if that's the case.
Looking forward to seeing photos.

I imagine that would receive quite the attention when rolling out onto a track. I'd love to see a photo of that bike next to a modern track bike, especially if you got the riders wearing their kits to match the different eras.

When did the skip tooth cogs go out of style?

Thanks @Jesper for the photos! The lugs do seem similar; perhaps same brand, but different models. Do you know what year your bike is?

I don't know anything about the skip tooth cogs. Perhaps someone else might have an idea as to the time frame they were used. Seems that I've seen them more often on very early bikes circa pre-WW2.

Thanks @Jesper for the photos! The lugs do seem similar; perhaps same brand, but different models. Do you know what year your bike is?

I don't know anything about the skip tooth cogs. Perhaps someone else might have an idea as to the time frame they were used. Seems that I've seen them more often on very early bikes circa pre-WW2.
I think they were definitely still being used on track bikes in the '50's and '60s.
I've been trying to find out when Campagnolo stopped producing them?

Back